H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plates

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The rear brake was designed on purpose to be less effective than the front by limiting the leverage that could be applied; "Richardson" page 40 (original edition) refers. However, the brake cam boss is steadied by H27/1AS. Notwithstanding, if you had parallel pivot pins and good straight shoes, you'd have a better brake.Alloy brake plates have been made for the rear wheel by the Factory, and by later providers.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The bane of these brakes is grease.......a blob the size of a match head is enough to render that brake assembly near useless.......If you can stop the grease migrating from the bearings you have half a chance of keeping the brakes working.

oexing

VOC Member
Quite right, it was a bit of a shock finding no grease barrier in the Vincent brake plates like they did in the 1935 Guzzi front brake in photo below for preventing any grease from speedo drive or wheel bearings access to linings and failed brake from this. When running the standard brakes I would try to add some grease shields to the back plates certainly, should not be rocket science.
So for sure I added barriers to my homemade brakes as well which should have been standard on all postwar brakes. Even with real bearing seals it cannot be wrong and adds a bit of strength to the backplates too.

Vic

P1100250.JPG

P1110895.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
I did see a rear speedometer drive on a Vincent he had one brake on the chain side and the standard speedometer cog on the other end of the hub with a shrouded gear box and long drive. Interesting

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a friend building a special, he has fitted discs to the Girdraulics, a cush drive on the right rear and has the speedo drive in the left rear with a pair of gears from some other drive (some of the girder fork Nortons were on the left)