C: Clutch ‘Clutching’ at Straws!

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m trying to get hold of a new set of friction plates for my Spares Company multi plate clutch. Contacted the Company today and was told they’re out of stock and probably won’t be back in stock for another 3 weeks. I loathed to go anywhere else but I really need some sooner than that if possible. Anyone know if there’s somewhere else where I could get some please? Nigel Davis

oexing

VOC Member
Would you give sizes of the friction plates, o.d. , i.d. and width of tangs ? I am surfing Aliexpress for Horex plates, so that would come in one go eventually .

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I’m trying to get hold of a new set of friction plates for my Spares Company multi plate clutch. Contacted the Company today and was told they’re out of stock and probably won’t be back in stock for another 3 weeks. I loathed to go anywhere else but I really need some sooner than that if possible. Anyone know if there’s somewhere else where I could get some please? Nigel Davis
I think they are the same as one of the Kawasaki range but don't have a note of which model. If you take an old plate to a Kawasaki dealer perhaps they may recognize it.

nigsey

VOC Member
Would you give sizes of the friction plates, o.d. , i.d. and width of tangs ? I am surfing Aliexpress for Horex plates, so that would come in one go eventually .

Vic
Thank you. I’ll measure tomorrow and will get back to you. If I go out in the garage now she who must be obeyed will lock me in there!

nigsey

VOC Member
I think they are the same as one of the Kawasaki range but don't have a note of which model. If you take an old plate to a Kawasaki dealer perhaps they may recognize it.
I heard somewhere that they could be the same as Kawasaki ones. I’ll investigate further, thanks

oexing

VOC Member
We really need all sizes to find suitable plates. Kawasaki and all the rest have lots of different sizes of clutches I can tell as I just try to find something at Aliexpress to fit in a Horex. To my amazement I found plates for our 1935 Guzzi single that got bronce cum steel plates , a PITA for selecting first gear at standstill. Degreasing the bronce type is not on as the primary helical gears in there like to have oil supply .

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
You mean you dont just send them to Saftek to re friction them?
or are they not steel backed but one piece friction

vibrac

VOC Member
Most friction surfaces on metal can be done I had by 1935 cork inset plates from my KSS velo converted to full plates and the thinner linings on our twin leading shoe 7" Vincent brake shoes done .1 week turnaround.

nigsey

VOC Member
Here are my clutch plates and the various dimensions. Thank you, Nigel

Attachments

• 4B103185-A3C1-4287-9142-A31C83C9E87D.jpeg
    4B103185-A3C1-4287-9142-A31C83C9E87D.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 9823E216-ECF1-45A1-B313-F1179AE90C29.jpeg
    9823E216-ECF1-45A1-B313-F1179AE90C29.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 19
  • FED06F01-9D75-4B2F-A548-DB62BE32B031.jpeg