Watsonian Meteor

Mark N

Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder if any of our American friends could help me: I own an original Watsonian Meteor sidecar body that needs a small amount of work and was told on good authority that maybe the only other surviving example went to the USA attached to a Vincent.
I would really like to see how original or otherwise that example is as it may assist my restoration.
Does anyone have any info. on this?
Mark

Mark N

Forum User
VOC Member
A couple of pictures.
Apologies for the poor photos but my garage is full and messy!

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 25

Mark N

Forum User
VOC Member
Perhaps not so rare
Yes, I’m aware of this; here is a little more info:
In 1946, Watsonian produced 601 Meteor models using converted drop-fuel tanks from De-Havelland Mosquitos.
Being made of a very thin “spun plywood”, not many could survive. One survivor was used by Charnwood Sidecars to produce a mould for them to replicate the body, but in fibreglass. This is the sidecar that I believe went to the States.
The mould was later sold to Watsonian who continued production, later renaming the sidecar a “Prestcott”; I assume this was due to the new Meteor Enfield motorcycle being marketed by Watsonian.
I have only managed to find one marketing photograph and my only issue is getting the screen correct (the new fibreglass model has a totally different screen).
I am only aware of two original bodies surviving, although I hope I’m wrong!

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any help?