Misc: Ignition Rita ignition coil

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I've taken the coil off my Rapide C to resolder the connections and was wondering if it may need replacing after thirty years.
Also the HT leads are joined using bullet connectors as the coil doesn't have push in sockets.
Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240506_170611.jpg
    20240506_170611.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
It's ok. I'll bung it all back on.
Just wasn't sure about having joined HT leads but I think it's ok if connected well and covered.

danno

Non-VOC Member
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
Yes. It might be broke though.
Occasional backfires (mainly on the overrun). Could be fuel/mixture but HT leads can cause running problems with arcing/ shorting etc. The only option to fix it properly I think is a couple of these:

shortun

VOC Member
Hi Dan no no need for them more things to go wrong. Just cut off the old joiner and get a length of new copper core ht lead. Bare the ends of the leads to expose one inch of the centre wire, place the ends side by side and solder these together. Then using one of the removed outer pieces of insulation cut it along it's length open it up and wrap it around the soldered joint, then cover the join with shrink wrap. Fit the coil and cut the extended lead to suit sparkplug positions.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dan no no need for them more things to go wrong. Just cut off the old joiner and get a length of new copper core ht lead. Bare the ends of the leads to expose one inch of the centre wire, place the ends side by side and solder these together. Then using one of the removed outer pieces of insulation cut it along it's length open it up and wrap it around the soldered joint, then cover the join with shrink wrap. Fit the coil and cut the extended lead to suit sparkplug positions.
That's great, thanks. It was the insulation that I was having trouble with.
If shrink wrap is sufficient, I'll go with that.