C: Clutch Rapide Clutch Question

Peashooter

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm removing the clutch on my new-to-me 48 Model B. After removing the outer spring plate and floating plates C21 and C23, the instructions say to remove the retaining nut with a 1/2"W spanner. OK, but how do you hold the assembly from moving while you loosen the C20 retaining nut? I can zap it off with an air gun, but I don't want to damage anything and it has to be torqued down again I suppose. Doing this to replace the primary cover gaskets to stop an oil leak. The clutch assembly is nice and dry.
Thanks in advance!

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greetings from UK, We used to put it in 4 th gear and put a bit of wood between the spokes of the rear wheel, Close to the rim !!, Which will stop the wheel,
With the wood sitting on top of the rear frame member,
Maybe help with someone pushing the rear brake down as well,
If you have time and an old steel clutch plate, Weld a strip of metal on to the plate to act as an arm,
And jam it on a big bit of wood on the floor ?.
Good luck, Bill.

It's the tool on the left, You have to crank the strip over a bit to miss the drum etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_110212 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211128_110212 (2).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Peashooter

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the tips! I had put it in gear, but ended up zipping it off with my air gun. It's all back together now, I'll know better next time! It's a bit daunting to dive into, but not really bad at all. I'm used to working on the more common Brit twins.