E: Engine Plug problems

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know of several people who have had double ended ignition coils pack in. Initially they keep going but start to misfire at high revs and then slowly get worst. If the spark is weak at high rpm then that wouldn't help. One owner ended up with the ignition coil melting. Sorry i don't know what make the coils were.

There's no obvious performance problem. I'd discounted the coil, because it was common to both plugs.

Howard

VOC Member
Try changing the plug leads over, assuming you have a single fire system. One fires negative and one positive.

I haven't tried that one. The problem is, the leads are different lengths and they're permanently attached at the coil end. I think I've got a spare coil, I'll try that.

Howard

VOC Member
Update.
All I changed were the plugs. Don't ask why, but I put in Acuspark 9 in - I liked the gold colour and 3 electrodes (yes, I know they don't all work at the same time). I swapped soon after for harder grade 7 - not a problem, just thought they might be better. So far I've used it round town and A roads, some motorway 80+mph up to the National Rally, and a 4 hour trip to Anglesey in the rain, and no problems (that's asking for trouble).
So it looks like it was just a glitch.

H

druridge

VOC Member
I recall a 1980's lecture by NGK(?) during TT week aimed at riders / mechanics, where under questioning, the company rep admitted to a 'new' failure rate of about one in a hundred.
I hoped things had improved until a new Champion plug failed (putting the engine onto 1 pot at lower revs) on the rear cylinder of another big twin last week. Bought from a reputable source, apparently genuine, I'm aware of fakes appearing through the web and autojumbles.