C: Clutch Heavy Clutch on Comet

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Worth checking the clutch arm in the outer gearbox cover, for wear on the raised portion that pushes the pushrod. If worn it can make the clutch heavier to operate.
delboy.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Hi Steve,

I run four washers under the bolts as per brad and it’s much lighter (still heavy compared to some other singles). I don’t recall the thickness and would recommend leaving the cover off and testing, that’s what I did.

The pivot on the levers is another thing to consider as mentioned as well. I had to bush mine due to wear caused by the heavy clutch. I am afraid you’ll have to do a bit of trial error to get it right. It can be done and stick with it as it’s worth it.

Gene.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi I have a Comet that has a finger light clutch lever operation, someone has fitted a hydraulic clutch to it, not sure who or where the parts came from ..... but it is a feather light job! I am sure someone on here will know who supplied it ...... if not ..... you could buy the bike as it is for sale (room needed)

CoreyL

VOC Member
I've got that Honda clutch on my single as well. I did put a lever on with 7/8" pivot distance which helps with leverage. Also, with that clutch, I find it's not necessary to pull the lever all the way to the bar to disengage it and change gears. A fraction of an inch of cable movement is enough to be able to shift without having it drag.

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks all, I’ve ordered a 7/8 lever so will try that first and go from there.
Can the clutch bolts be accessed from the circular plate or does the whole primary cover have to come off?
Appreciate your replies, I’ll let you know how it goes!

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Thanks all, I’ve ordered a 7/8 lever so will try that first and go from there.
Can the clutch bolts be accessed from the circular plate or does the whole primary cover have to come off?
Appreciate your replies, I’ll let you know how it goes!
circular hole

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hi I have a Comet that has a finger light clutch lever operation, someone has fitted a hydraulic clutch to it, not sure who or where the parts came from ..... but it is a feather light job! I am sure someone on here will know who supplied it ...... if not ..... you could buy the bike as it is for sale (room needed)
Venhill do supply a hydraulic conversion kit to replace cable operation, with apparently 20% reduction of lever effort required, it seems mainly directed towards Japanese motorcycles and modern European, how it could be adapted to operate with Burman, if at all, I have no idea, oh yes, forgot to mention, it is not cheap either.

Colin

VOC Member
My Egli Comet clutch was not freeing up when the lever was lifted. The bike had been standing unused for a while but I have never before had the problem after a lay-up. After taking the plates out of the drum they were found to be stuck together to such an extent some had to be prised apart. Plain plates were a bit mucky with what appeared to be hard grease. The lined plates were mostly very dirty with this hardened (apparently) grease. All plates were sprayed with brake cleaner and cleaned up fairly easy but used up a lot of clean paper towels and rag.. All went back together without problems and the clutch both freed up easily and also connected the drive properly.. Having never had the problem before I was a bit baffled as to why it had happened this time. Then I recalled that at some point before I had temporarily refilled the primary chaincase with 20/50 mineral oil as I had run out of straight SAE 20, my usual oil. I forgot the "temporary" oil arrangement, but am pretty sure that the multigrade oil was the cause.of severe sticking. Got to find some "straight" 20 now, not available in my neck of the woods. On line answer!!