Misc: Everything Else Grease is the Word

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Upon removing the kick start cover of my C twin for the first time recently I noticed the inside face of the cover and parts contained within have a liberal covering of grease on them. I guess it’s purpose is to lubricate the moving parts contained within and protect them from corrosion. Having cleaned off all of said grease I’d like to know what type of grease I should replace it with. Does it need to be high melting point grease or will a general purpose grease or lithium based grease suffice? Might have been easier to ask what types of grease I shouldn’t use. Thank you, Nigel Davis

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Upon removing the kick start cover of my C twin for the first time recently I noticed the inside face of the cover and parts contained within have a liberal covering of grease on them. I guess it’s purpose is to lubricate the moving parts contained within and protect them from corrosion. Having cleaned off all of said grease I’d like to know what type of grease I should replace it with. Does it need to be high melting point grease or will a general purpose grease or lithium based grease suffice? Might have been easier to ask what types of grease I shouldn’t use. Thank you, Nigel Davis
Use what ever you've got handy. It's like you said to lube whatever might need lubing and to keep the rust at bay. You won't need a lot and I've even used aerosol chain lube.

vibrac

VOC Member
Not many people nowadays have had an acquaintance with the postwar Douglas it had an advanced (for the day) fork with short links operating at the end of the fork legs on large plain bearings the recommended grease for lubrication and holding back the internal column of fork oil was something new to me "water pump grease" it certainly sticks like the proverbial to blankets (and almost smells as bad) I think my hardly used tub will be a useful adjunct to help seal the semi fluid grease in the Burman internal workings and other grease boxes of the prewar I use

Colin

VOC Member
My acquaintance with the post war Douglas was my second ever bike a 1948 T35. Advanced for it's time with torsion bar rear suspension and anti dive front fork, operated by a link above the short links, Tim mentions above.
Anyway to return to the point. Grease where it is not specified, is rarely, if ever, a problem. Lack of grease where it is required, will nearly always become a problem

nigsey

VOC Member
Many thanks for your helpful replies, I will opt for a general purpose white lithium grease.

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not many people nowadays have had an acquaintance with the postwar Douglas it had an advanced (for the day) fork with short links operating at the end of the fork legs on large plain bearings the recommended grease for lubrication and holding back the internal column of fork oil was something new to me "water pump grease" it certainly sticks like the proverbial to blankets (and almost smells as bad) I think my hardly used tub will be a useful adjunct to help seal the semi fluid grease in the Burman internal workings and other grease boxes of the prewar I use
It’s also good for holding paper gaskets in place on assembly. My old gaffer always used it in the days before fancy sealants and it seemed to work a treat and kept the gasket soft.