Fuel and Race Classes.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting info on the fuels some of you have used for racing, and many thanks for that....Some of you may or may not know that I am building up a twin road racer to use in anger, based on an original framed 49 HRD Vincent, not a Norvin or other Vincent hybrid special. I would be interested to start a new thread run along the lines of the one run by Craig on his D enclosed upgrades to his Comet. I would be most interested to ask questions to assist me with the build, in particular, upgrades to the oiling system, exhausts, Carbs, and so on. I am happy to post photos etc, to which I would keep you all up to date with how it's coming along. I have a pretty good understanding of normal road bikes, and engines but not a lot on the hop up tricks to a race engine, so come on Tim, Bill, Ed, Max, and all you other racers/ex racers out there.....What do you think.....???? I have already made a huge head start......But I have approx. 4 1/2 months to get it ready for our big race meet in late July.....Any thoughts.......Cheers......Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Greetings Greg, I would love to hear what you are doing, I just wish I was a bit Younger and had a bit more Money !! I did it for 17 years, So I was a bit Lucky !. Am I right that you are fitting a lot of Terry Prince stuff ?, Or are useing standard type Pistons and Heads. With it being a lot hotter in AUS Methanol should be good for you, The only trouble is getting enough meth' Through the carbs', I had a lot of trouble with Petrol. Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting info on the fuels some of you have used for racing, and many thanks for that....Some of you may or may not know that I am building up a twin road racer to use in anger, based on an original framed 49 HRD Vincent, not a Norvin or other Vincent hybrid special. I would be interested to start a new thread run along the lines of the one run by Craig on his D enclosed upgrades to his Comet. I would be most interested to ask questions to assist me with the build, in particular, upgrades to the oiling system, exhausts, Carbs, and so on. I am happy to post photos etc, to which I would keep you all up to date with how it's coming along. I have a pretty good understanding of normal road bikes, and engines but not a lot on the hop up tricks to a race engine, so come on Tim, Bill, Ed, Max, and all you other racers/ex racers out there.....What do you think.....???? I have already made a huge head start......But I have approx. 4 1/2 months to get it ready for our big race meet in late July.....Any thoughts.......Cheers......Greg.
First thing what are the class machine specifications we can't help till we know what is allowed

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Ed, I would have thought your Brother used Methanol, Back in the day, On his " Big Sunbeam," It was Quick !! Cheers Bill.
I did run it on meths for a few seasons with a second hand one and one eights inch track carb that I bought. John made a new brass slide for it. With no needle to set we just increased the cut away until it picked up OK. We had ignition problems due to tired magnetos sometimes struggling to fire the mixture. It cut out going into Park Corner at Cadwell. When it came back in with a big bang John had to go grass tracking! We abandoned meths and went back to petrol and got it to go just as well. The main benefit with methanol was that it ran cooler with the all iron engine. We were only running around 7:1 compression so we weren't able to take advantage of the potential for more power through higher compression that alcohol offers.
Re: "Big Sunbeam" it was actually under 500 CC and not really very quick. It was the "nut behind the handlebar" that allowed it to be competitive and enjoy a modicum of success. Still miss the challenge and fun but not the too many hours work in the garage between meetings.;)

Last edited: