Misc: Carburettors Comet Carb

big ben

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, my series C Comet has a new Amal 229/1DV carburettor, the only way I can get it to tick over nice a smoothly, without missing, is to have the mixture screw screwed fully in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Pau

Chris. S

Active Forum User
VOC Member
It's possible that the, pilot fuel feed hole, in the jet block can be blocked; even in a new carburettor. If you can't find an air leak, it may be that there is no fuel getting to the pilot outlet on the engine side of the throttle slide. You will have to remove the jet block to check.
Cheers, Chris.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The new 229/289 carbs, the idle circuit is on the weak side........need to heat and remove the jet block and drill out the pilot hole with an 18 to 20 thou drill bit.......sometimes they have swarf in them as well which does not help........I've had to do this with every new one of these carbs i've done regardless of being installed on the single or twin. I'll explain in more detail how to do this if you need the info........Cheers.

big ben

Forum User
VOC Member
The new 229/289 carbs, the idle circuit is on the weak side........need to heat and remove the jet block and drill out the pilot hole with an 18 to 20 thou drill bit.......sometimes they have swarf in them as well which does not help........I've had to do this with every new one of these carbs i've done regardless of being installed on the single or twin. I'll explain in more detail how to do this if you need the info........Cheers.
Thank you for this information, I’m riding to a local show tomorrow, so won’t do anything until after then, but I will investigate it next week and report back.

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK, I'm going on about fuel levels again, but I would be inclined to check that before I took the carb to bits and started drilling holes bigger !

big ben

Forum User
VOC Member
OK, I'm going on about fuel levels again, but I would be inclined to check that before I took the carb to bits and started drilling holes bigger !
Yes, I’ve tried that, I managed to push some clear pipe into the float bowl drain screw hole, I held it against the mixture screw, the level was just below the bottom of the thread, which I believe is ok, hope that makes sense.
Paul