C: Clutch C20 Nut

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When refitting the C20 Clutch Retaining Nut is it advisable to fit it "dry" or is the lightest smear of lubricant beneficial, I suppose I should know, but it never hurts to draw on others experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Peter my handsome, it never hurts to give it a little lubrication on the sintered bronze bush.
bananaman.

brian gains

VOC Member
I was told recently that a application of grease, preferably copper slip, to threads ensured a more constant torque setting. However, I've not done an empirical test.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Brian, Thanks for your input, and yes I do agree with you, a lubricated thread is best for accurate torque settings, in this case my enquiry related to lubricating the bearing surface of the C20 nut, but I did not make myself clear. I don't use a torque setting for the C20 other than the FT torque setting.

A little unrelated, but in a conversation with Hugo Myatt yesterday, the subject of tightening the C20 nut was discussed, both Hugo and I are running Grosset electric starts, and Hugo suggested that it is a wise precaution to drop the starter motor out of engagement when exerting a tightening force on the C20 nut to avoid any damage to the starter sprag clutch and gears.

Does anyone have any other advice on this, Francois Grosset fitted my starter, and it has been excellent, does anyone out there remember getting any advice on this possible problem when working on the clutch.

highbury731

VOC Member
The outer bronze bush on my clutch centre (I think it is C17) is a sliding fit. Does that matter, or should I clean thoroughly and fix with Loctite, or replace?
Paul

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am pretty certain that the C17 bush should be retained by a tight fit in the shoe carrier, I suppose you could try one of the many Loctite products, or order a new bush and see if that is a tight fit, I think I would try the latter as a preferable option.