H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brake Plates

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Richard gives some good advice. I have found that the 8" brakes are, in general, really well made. I had the left side brake arm gall in the boss. It is best to check everything for fit and lubrication. I also had to remove the external springs to get correct braking, however I know others who kept them and were able to set them up properly.

The brake cam is an original component, but has a slightly more square profile on the cams. The outer cam bush is stock but the inner cam bush is special. It has an 1/8" lip on it that sits inside the plate when installed. This lip places the shoes at the correct height in the drum. You can use a stock bush, but you should put in a 1/8" spacer to keep the shoe in the correct spot.
Brake Bush 8 inch (2).jpg

The scoops and the retaining screws are non-stock, but can be interchanged with the correct screw threads used. The 8" scoops have a curved edge and the stock have a straight edge, but are otherwise the same size.
8 inch plate w Hardware.jpg

The above brake plate is different than the one supplied for stock bikes. It does not have the water excluder machined in it. I don't know if they are available through the club, but it is worth asking if you think it will better suit your needs. Available in polished also.
IMG_1961.JPG

David

Kiwi_Tim

Non-VOC Member
Appreciate the responses, over the years racing classic sidecars I've had two cast iron front hubs collapse on separate bikes, so do keep a good eye on my brakes. Racing sidecar brake failures certainly killed a number of top riders back in the day too
I'll look to replace the front plates ahead of the rear plates, gives me something to ponder, but won't panic. The wheels are now relaced back onto painted and chrome rims so looking very smart and just waiting on relining the clutch shoes before the bike can be re-vinned for the road. Also fitting a rack for a pair of Craven panniers. Hope to be mobile in a matter of weeks

Albervin

VOC Member
I have just fitted a set of the club shop 8" brakes to my Rapide and I now have a pair of cast Aluminium plates for sale complete with shoes. drop me a line at enginecad@Hotmail.com for details and pics if you are interested.
On the subject of the 8" brakes, I have some problems with fitting these. First of all is that they fouled the lugs at the bottom of the Brampton forks, so I was forced to take a file to them and remove quite a bit of material.
The other problem was that only the left hand side brake arm was moving when applying the brake.. Investigation showed that either the cam was too short or the boss on the brake plate was too long and when the brake arm was tightened on to the serrated washer, the washer was clamped hard against the brake plate. I had to strip out the cam and the only solution was to machine a 1/32" from the face that abuts the inside of the brake plate. So if you are fitting any of these brakes, please check that the brake arms move freely after being fitted.
Were they the modified Brampton 8" brakes?

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hmm I really don't like to spread the words until I am finished with my project. But I can post a picture as a teaser.
8 inch composite drum, tls, scoops etc
The brake plates were dummy plates for checking the cnc machining. As I said I am in the final stages and not yet finished. The idea is to make them look original but tls with an inner linkage between the 2 cams.

Attachments

• 2018101013082600.jpg
    2018101013082600.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2018101013104400.jpg
    2018101013104400.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018101013092500.jpg
    2018101013092500.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 65
  • 2018101018402200.jpg
    2018101018402200.jpg