5 more years

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So electric doom has been put back 5 years
That gives the clever guys more time to get net zero e fuels on line so we can carry on riding Vincents without 'stop oil' freaks killing us
I am not surprised the car makers are upset they were rubbing their hands at laying off half their work forces by 2030
In spite of mostly coming from university on subjects like the humanities and politics it seems a little engineering advice has finally entered the .gov brains

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I saw a video from the US yesterday where they were holding a senate (I think) committee meeting about pollution reduction and the bit I saw was saying the electrification of their railways was decades away, and the rail companies are not even ordering clean diesel locomotives yet, also Biden has said 50% of new cars need to be electric by 2030, but there was no possible way that the energy supply or distribution would be able to cope with this in time.

A question for you electricity bods, how big a battery would you need to power an average US train across the country, yes they were talking about using battery locos

vibrac

VOC Member
With a fuel made from CO2 from the atmosphere and hydrogen from solar they could fill up their diesel trains with e-fuel and run them at nett zero are you telling me that the USA has to ask Canada for technology? (Carbon Engineering Ltd)

Alyson

VOC Member
I saw a video from the US yesterday where they were holding a senate (I think) committee meeting about pollution reduction and the bit I saw was saying the electrification of their railways was decades away, and the rail companies are not even ordering clean diesel locomotives yet, also Biden has said 50% of new cars need to be electric by 2030, but there was no possible way that the energy supply or distribution would be able to cope with this in time.

A question for you electricity bods, how big a battery would you need to power an average US train across the country, yes they were talking about using battery locos
why not run power lines down the rail tracks and do like the old trolley cars did back in my hay day :)

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
why not run power lines down the rail tracks and do like the old trolley cars did back in my hay day :)
Because that would make way to much sense. How are politicians supposed to make a name for themselves solving a "big complex" problem, creating large bi-partisan working groups, and most important of all get re-elected. If the solution is that simple. On top of that how are large multi-national corporations supposed to get gov't funding to study the problem, write and publish white papers, win large bottomless gov't contracts to install infrastructure?
No the problem must be seen to be very, very complex and existential, else there is no money in it.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Some interesting boffin studies are showing much higher air particulate pollution from EVs than standard combustion vehicles.
Some are claiming diesel cars with lower particulate emissions than electric, bizarre.
BBC Spotlight program on Wednesday night had some dodgy science which seemed to back this.

Is that a hand brake being applied by government?

Tyres and brakes seem to be the offenders.
Seems that tyre brake lining technology has a way to go in catching up.