H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 4.00-19 rear tyre advice please

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It would interesting to know whether the tyre to mudguard clearance issue became more evident when we swapped our original Birmabright mudguards in favour of stainless steel mudguards, it is well documented that they were not always that accurate in manufacture, and required spacers fitting at the front fixing point, and pulling around a bit to get the radius sort of correct, bring back Birmabright I say!

erik

VOC Member
Her a picture .The profile is period looking and the grip on tarmac is modern.Erik

Attachments

• IMG_9023[1].JPG
    IMG_9023[1].JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 33

vibrac

VOC Member
The radius of mudguards can be altered by springing them wider or narrower this alters the curvature they are not really a braced solid object

erik

VOC Member
There is no special name on the Heidenau. Only M/C 4.00-19 ! that is all I could find. The profile is a little bit like the old Metzeler Block C . Erik

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Hi Kerry,
I use the Avon Roadrider 2 on the rear of the Shadow and on the Rapide.
Apex style tyre much better road holding.
I recommend using the 100/80-19 rather than the 100/90-19
Reason being better match for the roadrider 2 front and gives better clearance for the rear guard.

Al

SteveO

VOC Member
I use 90/90 19" front and 100/90 19" rear Roadriders on my Rapide and it seems to handle pretty well to me. There's loads of space between tyres and mudguards front and rear. Since 102mm is 4", I assume that equates roughly to a 4.00?