H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 2022 Tyre Advice

Elanman39

Forum User
VOC Member
Looking at the tyres on my C Comet has shown they are 2010 and 2011 vintage, so common sense says it's time to replace both of them and the tubes. They are the normal Avon Speedmaster 3.00x20 and Safety Mileage Mk2 3.50x19. Looking on-line it looks like the Speedmaster is pretty much the only recognised brand option in that size and while the rear SM is still available I find myself drawn towards the rather more rounded profile 100/90 19 Avon Roadrider, for no good reason beyond the rather square profile of the SM has always worried me. Does anyone have any experience of running the Speedmaster in combination with the Roadrider? Is it an improvement from my current set-up? I really don't want to get into changing the rim sizes to get a better choice of tyres. All thoughts appreciated.

Generic Beardy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking at the tyres on my C Comet has shown they are 2010 and 2011 vintage, so common sense says it's time to replace both of them and the tubes. They are the normal Avon Speedmaster 3.00x20 and Safety Mileage Mk2 3.50x19. Looking on-line it looks like the Speedmaster is pretty much the only recognised brand option in that size and while the rear SM is still available I find myself drawn towards the rather more rounded profile 100/90 19 Avon Roadrider, for no good reason beyond the rather square profile of the SM has always worried me. Does anyone have any experience of running the Speedmaster in combination with the Roadrider? Is it an improvement from my current set-up? I really don't want to get into changing the rim sizes to get a better choice of tyres. All thoughts appreciated.
I'll interested to see what the wisdom is. My comet has 3.50 X 19 front and rear. Speedmaster and safety mileage respectively. (At least fifty years old) I usually fit Avon Roadriders on classics or whatever the current version is. But I'm not a fan of the look on a classic......

Robert Watson

VOC Member
There is also of the alternative 410:19 roadrunner with a little rounder profile, I have them on 4 vins all with 20" Speedmasters up front.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The 410 roadrunner is a great tire, they do wear out faster than the safety milage ones, and it does change the gearing considerably as well. Being smaller in OD it does under gear the bike quite noticeably.