zero to sixty

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I gave the Glenli several good tries last night, best was 4.9 seconds according to the Dakota Digital speedo. The speedo was calibrated by gps so it should be very accurate.
This is with the donor motor, roughly the same tuning as a US Black Shadow (werent they 8 to one rather than 7.3?), but with the advantage of the Rapide or late Shadow lower first gear.
Disadvatanges are the 230 lb rider and the taller than stock gearing.

The light weight of the bike seems to more than make up for this. A faster shifting trans would help. The permanent engine will get that with the quaife.
It will be interesting to compare times with the different engines.
Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Glen, So you used two gears ? You should be able to buzz it in one gear ? Don't blow it up !! Cheers Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill
Yes, I used two gears.

According to my figures, 60 mph in first gear is just over 7000 rpm with stock gearing. My gearing is higher than stock, so it works out to 6600 revs at 60, a tad high for the old engine.

The numbers I have from the riders handbook are:=
Standard gearing = 4600 rpm @100 mph , overall ratio 3.5 to one in fourth. Overall ratio (standard) in first is 9 to one , so (9÷3.5) x4600=11,828 rpm, the theoretical rpm for first gear at 100 mph. 11,828 x.6 = 7096 rpm @60 mph.
Glen

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
Hello Glen, So you used two gears ? You should be able to buzz it in one gear ? Don't blow it up !! Cheers Bill.

I think 4.9 and going home with a whole engine is better than 4.5 and going home with a bag of bits. :)

Your figures are interesting Glen. I've always guestimated my Egli at 4.5 seconds. Based on Shadow and Rap both about 6 seconds (according to Vincent Rider's Handbook figures) so if the Rap did 0-30 in 1.5 and the Shadow 30-60 in 3, a Shadow with Rap gearing should be good for 5 seconds. Take 50 lbs off for the Egli frame add a few horses for 32 mm carbs and 9:1 and a very slim rider (lol) ......... I'll take 4.9 quite happily. But I don't think 0 - 60 means a lot, Rolling acceleration times like 30 - 60 or 50 - 70 are more meaningful on a road bike.

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The device also accurately measures 1/4 mile et and gives exit speed, although there is really no safe spot in my area to do that test. Might give that a trial out on some long stretch of deserted highway somewhere.
It is quite amazing how much is jammed into something that weighs a few ounces. In addition to the performance figures above, it gives highest recorded speed for each trip, highest rpm reached,. Under tach there is an engine hour meter, plus the tach display is available in four different modes, one in 10 rpm increments . The speed can be shown in both KPH or MPH or both at the same time.Other info includes miles to service, service warning light(set for oil changes or whatever) Gear indicator, high beam indicator, low volt indicator, left and right turn indicator on, shift warning light remote output and high rpm warning light. There is also a low oil level warning light and some other functions Im forgetting.

Glen

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Glen, When I was Sprinting, 1970 to 80 I marked out a part of the A413 near London, But after a few runs the Police always turned up !!, Time to go home !! I have very little cash so I use a push bike speedo, That gives average speed, Highest speed, how many miles in a trip, Plus a clock. I must remember to reset it if pulled up by police, In case they know how to use it !! Have fun, Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
When I was in my teens , friends and I had a couple of locations. If the police showed up at one, we would move to the other.
Truth be told, our bikes/cars were so low in power that we werent all that much above the posted speed limit at the end of the quarter.
This was the era of the muscle car tho and lots of those screaming tire smokers would show up. The hottest of those (Mach 1 428 Mustang, Boss 302 Mustangs, Dodge 340 Swinger and 340 Dart, Pontiac GTO, Dodge Super Bees or Hemi Cudas, and certain Corvettes) might do a 13 second 105mph quarter mile at best, but the frying of those polyglass tires thru the gears is something I will never forget!

Glen

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
SlaterVincentcatalogue1971.jpg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
2.8 seconds to sixty would be roughly the same as the new 200 hp BMW 1000rr. Makesone wonder about the rest of the claims on th ad.

There is a Shadow 70 nearing completion here in Vancouver, stored since the seventies and being assembled by John Mcdougall. The engine is roughly the same tune as my temporary engine but the bike itself will be somewhat heavier.

Glen

davidd

VOC Member
This is from the CycleWorld test of EV10:

The performance figures: “In our accelerationtests we registered a 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds. Our best quarter-mile time was13.98 seconds at a speed of 98 mph. Average speed in a two-way run was 132mph.”

David