zero to sixty

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
At the time the video was made , about three years ago, he was running right around 11seconds. He has since lowered his time into the ten second bracket. There are several vids of him besting a variety of modern high powered sports bikes.
I ve noticedthat the actual results achieved by riders on various sport bikes are considerably slower than those listed in the magazine reviews, just as things were in the old days.
Bikes that are listed in reviews as having an et of 10.5 might run an actual 11.3 or 11.5 depending on rider weight and rider skill. Same thing with 0 to 60 times when they are shown along with et. The 0to 60 times are out by an even larger percentage , it would appear. That is why I was pleased with the 4.9 number. Compared with the actual results achieved rather than the magazine numbers, it looks quite good. T he website Dragtimes.com lists times achieved by various riders and machines and also notes whether the machine is stock, turbocharged etc.
I believe Dick runs an alcohol mixture.

It must be quite a shock for the riders in the other lane to see that old chunk of iron blast off!

Glen

Last edited:

alan1961

Forum User
VOC Member
Some readers will have noted the comment by George Spence in the May 2012 MPH about the fastest production Vincent at the Blackpool Sprint having a quarter mile time of 14.36 seconds. That was me, at the time about 150 lbs weight. The bike was a carefully put together Shadow with standard carbs, compression ratio etc. but I think MkII cams. I rode the bike up to my family home in Wakefield from Sussex, where I worked, changed the silencer to a ‘straight through’, i.e. a bit of tube welded into a standard silencer body and then followed my brother in his car over the Pennines to Blackpool. I remember going through some of the towns and villages with the throttle well shut and not causing enough noise to cause people to look round. However, opening the throttle was a different matter!! It was my first ever motorcycle competitive event and I won, much to my surprise. Note that this was a more or less standard road bike, fully equipped with lights, dynamo, battery, front and rear stands etc. It is probably typical of what one could expect from a standard twin at the time. It took about two years for me to get the time down to 13.06 seconds by which time there were no stands, nothing in the battery case or dynamo, the compression was up to 10.5:1 and the ‘carbs’ were inch and three eighths Wal Phillips fuel injectors. The bike was still being ridden to meetings and generally the silencer changed at the meeting. As well as the 13.06 time for the standing start quarter the bike also did 135 mph at the end of a half mile sprint at Long Marston. Regarding the number of gear changes, I tried over revving to 7,000 rpm and making just one change or changing gear twice and revving to a more reasonable 6,300 ish. Times were better with the extra gear change and staying within the power band. Rear sprockets were typically 54 or 56 teeth for quarter miles. I had intended to build another bike with oil in the gearbox, a ‘D’UFM and Bramptons to reduce weight but circumstances decreed that I had to buy a house and as those of you who have gone through this will know one is essentially bankrupted and there was no longer the money to go sprinting. It would not have mattered anyway. For year or two I had had the fastest production bike in the country but the next year, Ray Elgar did something to his bike which transformed its performance. If I recall correctly he got down to about 12.3 seconds and I doubt that I would ever have got there. Even allowing for the lighter weight of a Shadow 70 I doubt that the claimed figures could ever have been achieved.
Ray Elger got down to 11.91, only change to the big from when riding on the road was locking the back shockers and letting some air out of the back tyre

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What ever, Ray had Super Style, His Take off was spot on every time, I was a Big Fan.
I loved the way He squashed 2 Downpipes into a Huge Goldie Silencer,
Something I tried to copy later, But in my own way, Good Times.
Now see I did it wrong :D , I pumped my tyres up to 40 lb for less rolling resistance ?.
Cheers Bill.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, In my very disorganised paper work it looks like my best time over a quarter of a mile was 13.28 seconds. I was changing into fourth just before the line. Decided to hold third but miss counted and crossed the line at 90 in second with a 52 tooth sprocket.
Elapsed time worse and not good for the motor, but it still took me home.
John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I remember Mike Fisher on His Egli, Made me look very slow at Cadwell Park,
And Curborough Twisty Sprint, But then we were at a Sprint !,
I Stuffed Him !, Think it was in the early days with my Blue one with twin pipes and short mega's,
He could not believe it.
It would do 13.5 Rain or Sun, Lots of Fun.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I had forgotten about this feature on the Dakota Digital speedometer. It would be good to try this again. The 4.9 was with the 998.

Glen

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I thought the high first gear on the Shadows, Was 70 ish at 6000 rev's ?,
I have a high first gear on one of my Twins, But can't remember which one !,
It's not that much difference on normal riding, Well not to me anyway,
I do remember the high first did NOT work well for me when Sprinting,
Didn't work with using 4 gears and 56 rear sprocket, With my weight and a Road bike.