PR: Proprietary Items Your starter for ten

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I had my "B"rap starter fitted the same time as Peter (day later) my daughters red Rapide had one fitted in 2003, one gear replaced shortly after fitting (hardening not correct) Grosset ignition system too. my "B" is similar yet has a manual advance/retard so can retard more yet still backfires ! broken a sprag gear and the plastic planet gear in the epi-cyclic reducer in starter motor so have had the final motor pinion removed (shear pin in) since April checked timing several times, now fitted with two old stock Bosch & Champions non resistance plugs (twin plugged) last couple of outings no backfires !!!! so thinking of re-fitting pinion with the cross sectional area (CSA) reduced by 20 % on shear pins. Daughters bike never gives trouble, I find that not moving backwards is great when stopped on an incline. But must be in neutral when rolling back onto center stand, as it's so easy to do whilst astride the bike even with wife up behind so long as it is not being lifted with wheel off the ground. Trying to reduce possibilities of disasters mounting and dismounting.
Yes it's about the battery, I splashed out and acquired a lithium iron, normally my lead acid 20A/H extend 3" beyond battery carrier and nearly touch my exposed suspension springs gained nearly 1/4" by removing boxes and saved 1/3 rd of the weight. CCA cold cranking amps is what we require the lead acid 230 the good ones the Lithium iron nearly 400 amps yet I couldn't get one the same physical size as the lead battery, if I could it would have another 25% extra capacity. I like Tim like having a good reserve, one day I hope to have a generator that will match maximum consumption at tick over, just like a car. Full lights,heaters, fans, music system at tick over with meter on battery 14.35 Volts, magic as Baxter would say.
Bloody stormy tonight down here in the south west.
bananaman.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I guess Bens racer does not have a charging circuit in place, so no concerns about charging, as I said previously, the battery that Francois recommends has a huge cold cranking ability, enough to start a 2 litre VW diesel, 220-240 I think, the only real advantage that I can see with the lithium battery is the weight saving, if you put a little less fuel in the tank you probably achieve the same weight saving.
Rereading your post it occurred to me that I drive a 2 litre VW diesel Golf and the battery is huge compared to the lead-acid battery that Francois recommends so I'm not sure that would last long on my VW assuming it would turn it over in the first place. I think the battery on my VW is probably 70aH and around 600+ CCA.
I think you may be right about the advantage of the weight saving. I could put in less fuel to achieve the same result although I usually fill it right up each time in case I decide to just keep riding. I also thought about foregoing the sweet after dinner this evening to save a little weight. Unfortunately, Gloria had stewed some of our own apples and served them up with ice-cream so I quickly forgot about the weight saving. I was saddened that my resolve was weak but cheered up again when she said there was enough apple left for the same again tomorrow.:)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Does your VW stop and start automatically? That would require a bigger battery than a conventional system.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Marcus, you already have an alternator that will give you all the power you will ever need on tickover, the Nippon Denso tucked away in one of your sliding drawers, you have shown it to me several times, speak to Norman Walker, he could probably sell you the fitting kit.
Using the Yuasa motorcycle battery to start the VW Transporter was only ever intended to be a get me out of trouble measure, it just enabled me to get to an Autoparts supplier to purchase the correct battery, I was just surprised that there was enough power to start the VW twice, certainly got me out of trouble and saved me quite a lot of money in recovery and garage charges, another unforeseen added advantage of going 12 volt.

Albervin

VOC Member
A local NSW member has fitted a LiFePO battery that can be made to fit in a battery box. It is rated at 480 CCA!! That should do the job.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I retract all my previous comments, that Shorai battery looks amazing, and safe also, better start saving for a battery and charger I suppose, expensive business riding these Vincent motorcycles isn't it.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Peter my handsome you should be able to spend at least a £ 998 a year on each of your bikes to keep abreast of increased value, think of the poor folk who loose that every year on much newer machines.

craig

VOC Member
I have been hiding my Podronics regulator under the battery, the new Grosset relay wants this location now, so where do you move the Podtronics regulator?
PodReg2.jpg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The solenoid is a pretty small unit, I would leave the regulator where it is and find a neat place to site the solenoid, you will need longer leads made up, but that should be easy enough.