PR: Proprietary Items Your starter for ten

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Old age comes to us all I was sure the reason I was not using the Alphabet twin was that the starting was hard, not too difficult you understand I normally started from home in a couple of kicks and everything is set up pretty good, but like that stupid insurance ad it was a nagging doubt about the situations where I might find starting a real problem.
Logically I thought since I have not touched it internally for years I was convinced it was sporting some high CR pistons however on whipping off the front head there sat a 7;3 piston in a good condition head.
Ah well I think its time for another electric start. I say another because the last one was a disaster on the first try( and I mean first push on the button) I stripped the teeth off the big sprag wheel and after taking it off, it got repaired and refitted to another twin project. It was early days for the stater and I guess things have improved and I dont hear many complaints so long as the drill is followed.
So my question is about a battery, the book says 14 Amphr battery I know Lithmium are expensive (plus a suitable charger) but having seen their light weight on Bens Endurance racer it does seem a no brainer I know Eddie has squeezed a Lithmium into a battery box but I want plenty of capacity and I have no compunction in hanging out a lithmium in full view so long as it fits a twin battery platform, my concern is will it work well with a new Alton and what makes and types of lithmium have other found works well.

Hi Tim,
I`ve been using JMT batteries on my BMW1150GS, not a Vincent but still a twin so a reasonable comparison, & starting it better than the standard battery.
The first was the HJTX14H-FPSI which is 148mm long, 88mm wide & 95mm high,but they have quite a range so I`m sure they`d have something suitable & can be mounted in any orientation.
This needs a specific Lithium Ion charger & JMT recommend JMP chargers(bit confusing the similarity in name).
A lot of modern manufacturers are using Lithium Ion so can`t be that much of a problem,the issues I`ve seen relate to older regulator rectifiers not being within the correct range needed & as we are converting to modern 12v systems this shouldn`t be a problem.
Cheers
Dave

timetraveller

VOC Member
Would it be possible for some people to give real world feedback on the use of Li ion batteries or LeFePo batteries. The reason that I ask is that I know several of you are using them with electric starters and I'm pretty sure that some of those are also using Walkernators. The problem is that one continuously reads advice to the effect that one needs to have different charging voltages with the Li ion ones when compared with lead acid batteries. I have tried to read around this subject and understand that the charging regimes are different and that the amount of charge one can take out of a battery is different between the various types. However, I like to think that the Walkernator is as good as I can make it and they are certainly set up to charge lead acid batteries. Therefor the question is, to those who have real world experience of usage of a Li ion battery with either a Walkernator or Alton etc. , have you experienced any battery problems which might result from the charging not being optimised? Answers in public on here please and thank you in advance.

craig

VOC Member
I run an alton new type+ podtronics and shorai 18 amp for 4 y now no problem some 25K km
Can you post any photos of this Grosset starter install please?
I need to consider/plan component locations for my in progress Grosset.
Thanks , Craig

Shorai18amp.jpgaltonvincenttwin.jpgPodReg2.jpgrelay2.jpgBatteryBracketFT29.jpg

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
As you say, the walkernator was made initially to charge lead acid batteries, which they do well. If the uninformed connect them to an unsuitable battery I fail to see your concerns. So, sit back, relax ! Roy.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Would it be possible for some people to give real world feedback on the use of Li ion batteries or LeFePo batteries. The reason that I ask is that I know several of you are using them with electric starters and I'm pretty sure that some of those are also using Walkernators. The problem is that one continuously reads advice to the effect that one needs to have different charging voltages with the Li ion ones when compared with lead acid batteries. I have tried to read around this subject and understand that the charging regimes are different and that the amount of charge one can take out of a battery is different between the various types. However, I like to think that the Walkernator is as good as I can make it and they are certainly set up to charge lead acid batteries. Therefor the question is, to those who have real world experience of usage of a Li ion battery with either a Walkernator or Alton etc. , have you experienced any battery problems which might result from the charging not being optimised? Answers in public on here please and thank you in advance.
I use a Shorai Lithium battery on my Rapide in conjunction with a Walkernator and the 2CV regulator. The rectifier diodes are built in to the alternator. After starting the ammeter swings well over to the positive side and quickly settles back to a small positive charge. The regulator is mounted under the battery tray alongside the starter solenoid.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I also have a Shorai Li-ion battery in my B Rapide fitted with the original Miller generator (converted to 12V) and electronic regulator. Only made this change as I was sick of continually replacing sulphated lead-acid batteries. Seems to be working fine one year on.

Last edited by a moderator: