You think that is hard.............

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Saw this post and wanted to find most difficult/annoying/frustrating tasks everyone has had on bikes:
"Len you are so right. Fitting the valve lifter cable is the worst job on the Comet (bar setting up the eccentrics). My advice is fit the valve lifter cable before trying to fit the clutch cable. I doesn't make it easy, just easier."

I had an ST1100, I could turn radiator cap about 1/4 turn, to remove the radiator cap meant removing ALL the tupperware....probably about 1/2 hr job at home or 1 1/2 hour job on a windy rainy day at the side of the road ....tupperware scattered over 1/2 an acre !!!

Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
On a Vincent- setting up a road gearbox gearchange mechanism Oh I can do it, I done enough, but its just so fiddily not a job to be done crouched down at the road side, so many adjustments to take into account so many items to be checked for wear ugh! even screwing the cover on can can make a good change sequence into an also ran

jim burgess

VOC Member
On a Vincent? fitting the fuel tank, so much risk of damage to paintwork doing a job that should/could be so esay! If the front mounting was an open forward facing U it could just slide in. On a triumph fitting the brake light switch to the chaingurd of a C range 3ta/5ta series machine. On a CBR600 Honda, almost everything!
Jim Burgess.

Albervin

VOC Member
Original chain guard on a B. Removing a split link on some of these new chains. Setting up the front brakes on a standard B. All take longer than you think they should. Also, shimming and fitting an RFM. Fitting a new rear guard and only drilling the minimum number of holes :) Haven't tried to re-line a petrol tank yet (the gold stuff) but I am guessing it isn't a 10 minute job.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Original chain guard on a B. Removing a split link on some of these new chains. Setting up the front brakes on a standard B. All take longer than you think they should. Also, shimming and fitting an RFM. Fitting a new rear guard and only drilling the minimum number of holes :) Haven't tried to re-line a petrol tank yet (the gold stuff) but I am guessing it isn't a 10 minute job.
Gold lining ? It`s a five minute job, but you`ll need to have done a five year apprenticeship, first.

I thought I have told you how to fit a rear guard from scratch.
1. Fit hinges to guards.
2. Fit chainguard to lifting handle and bolt in position. This is the defining position for the guard.
3. Put spindle through hinge and lifting handle, lightly tighten.
4. Rotate forward part of guard, to get best position, relative to RFM. Then you can see if you need spacers to go between guard and RFM.
5. Make spacers, place on RFM with double sided tape or superglue. This is to leave you with two hands to work with.
6. Push the guard back on to the spacers, and mark through on the the guard where the hole should be.
7. Dismantle, drill and debur holes. ONLY TWO !
8. Fit number plate to rear section. this will give you the final position for the rear stand.

And when you`ve done that properly, it will probably only fit your bike and no one else`s.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A local owner trimmed the blade ends at the hinge to have a small uniform gap at the hinge when the rear stand is up (and therefore in the down position, too). I sent him your previous post, but I'll have to ask him more about his sequence of steps.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Albervin;. Setting up the front brakes on a standard B. .[/QUOTE said:
Alyn,
006.jpg007.jpgAll my Bramptons can be set in two minutes, or less.
Cheers, John:)
P.S...... this is a "Split Collar" available in a multitude of sizes at any Bearing Supply Shop.:D

Last edited: