Where Are You Now? XTP172

Vindex

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My late Father purchased a Black Shadow series D in 1964. It was a Mike Creamer rebuild and had a brass plate on it saying it was rebuilt by him and dated 1961. He had a Busmar Astral sidecar fitted and it was our only transport from 1964-late 70s - we even had a tow bar fitted and towed my Trials bike around to meetings in the mid 70s! I would love to know if it is still around -it was sold to Conway motors in the 80s and I could possibly fill in some history for the present owner. Also how many bikes did Mike Creamer rebuild? we found out later that it was in fact a Rapide engine.

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My late Father purchased a Black Shadow series D in 1964. It was a Mike Creamer rebuild and had a brass plate on it saying it was rebuilt by him and dated 1961. He had a Busmar Astral sidecar fitted and it was our only transport from 1964-late 70s - we even had a tow bar fitted and towed my Trials bike around to meetings in the mid 70s! I would love to know if it is still around -it was sold to Conway motors in the 80s and I could possibly fill in some history for the present owner. Also how many bikes did Mike Creamer rebuild? we found out later that it was in fact a Rapide engine

I don't know how many 'Creamer Shadows' he produced but I was led to believe that my 1952 C Rapide was the first. Like your dad I purchased it as a genuine Black Shadow as that is what it said in the log book. Fifty years ago I didn't think to check the engine number. As such it did not have the brass plate as affixed to later examples. Mike Creamer was an ex-Vincent employee who later worked for the Vincent dealers Lawton and Wilson in Southampton. It was whilst there that he began his conversions of Rapides into 'Shadows'. Interestingly my Rapide was first supplied by Lawton and Wilson and carries a Southampton number plate. Although my 'Shadow'/Rapide had a polished engine and was not enamelled the specification included Shadow carbs, speedo and brake drums. The gearbox had the high bottom gear with double backlash and the clutch was converted to the Lightning pattern.

Hugo

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
So it is a WHITE Shadow Hugo, as White Shadow's had to be built with Rapide cases as the BS cases were the porous ones, or the majority were. That is why the die cast "D" cases were not painted as the porosity wasn't a problem, as anyone knows the work involved is considerable, Mr Vincent didn't make so much profit on a BS as he did on a Rapide. From the horses mouth.
bananaman

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So it is a WHITE Shadow Hugo, as White Shadow's had to be built with Rapide cases as the BS cases were the porous ones, or the majority were. That is why the die cast "D" cases were not painted as the porosity wasn't a problem, as anyone knows the work involved is considerable, Mr Vincent didn't make so much profit on a BS as he did on a Rapide. From the horses mouth.
bananaman

Ah yes, Marcus, but not a real one, at least not according to the engine number. Regarding porous crankcases, I read somewhere a long time ago that Vincent cases were treated internally with isinglass to inhibit the porosity problem. I understand that it was when John Vane (your friend) owned the machine that it was he who had it converted by Mike Creamer. John later raced the machine so there were several other mods, including stiffened up brake plates, etc., by the time I got it. Unfortunately the machine is much more of a Rapide these day as over the years having had sidecars on and off I found the double backlash and high bottom gear a bit of a pain I had Furness and Searle swap the gears for a standard Rap set. The carbs are now Rapide sized carbs and apart from the Shadow speedo and ribbed drums only the Lightning clutch remains.