Xenon HID lighting

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
pictures

The old man has rushed in and fitted his lighting system. As you will see he has mounted it on the front brake balance beam plate. The box looks like it should be waterproof but we will no doubt find out the first time that he goes on a rally organised by Tracy Tilley.:D

All of the other stuff fits inside the headlamp shell and with the headlamp on and electronic ignition the alton balances at just above tickover.

Attached is a photo in very low resolution for those of you in the technological dark ages of dial up ( or Wales as it is also known)

Pete

Attachments

• Ballast.JPG
    Ballast.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 96

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
xenon h.i.d.lighting

as you have noticed , my baby boy has rushed in with the results of my efforts ! the lighting kit proved easy to fit after I shortened the harnesses supplied . This only applies to the power feed to the relay and the dip/main control harness . The high tension leads between ballast and bulb are already fairly short and limit the choices when positioning the ballast . The dip/main harness is supplied with a three pin plug attatched . This was replaced with three lucar spade terminals which plug directly into my original three pin bulb plug which means it only takes minutes to revert to a halogen bulb . The only place that I could fit the ballast unit was below the headlamp but it is fairly unobtrusive and will give the anoraks something to talk about . I can confirm that the bike harness did not have to be altered in any way . Now for the important bit . Does it work . You bet it does ! An intense cold blue/white light with a good spread on dip and a clear cut off and kick up , Main beam produces a narrower pattern but with exceptional range . The power consumption seems satisfyingly low and the alton balances at revs for approx. 35 mph . Am I satisfied . Yes , very . The kit comes properly packed . The delivery time is excellant , The results are very satisfying , and all for twelve pounds fifty plus seventeen pounds fifty shipping from hongkong ! John

tractorman414

VOC Member
HIDs ongoing 2

Again many thanks to you all for your comments, and again thanks to vintagebike.co.uk, I have seen the best explained article on this subject, take a look at :-

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

my main fear now is the main beam efficiency. as explained by Daniel Stern, the near light is fantastic, but the distant light, no so. I eagerly await Pete Appleton feedback of his lights in use. For me I have an answer to Pete’s problem of hiding the ballast, I have on open D with a C fuel tank, so I believe there should be space beside the frame tube and hopefully enough ventilation to prevent the ballast from overheating

Bernard

nkt267

VOC Member
Looks like they are on to a good thing,the price has gone up.
My mistake they have more than one Ebay shop.Uk price still the same..The price if you follow the link appears dearer.
Type in H4-3 in the Ebay search.

Last edited:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
A favour please

John,

Any chance of you taking a couple of night-time shots sowe can see the beam pattern, how it lights up the road???

Cheers
Neil:):)

John Appleton

VOC Member
Again many thanks to you all for your comments, and again thanks to vintagebike.co.uk, I have seen the best explained article on this subject, take a look at :-

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

my main fear now is the main beam efficiency. as explained by Daniel Stern, the near light is fantastic, but the distant light, no so. I eagerly await Pete Appleton feedback of his lights in use.

Bernard
Bernard
Pete has not yet fitted his kit , but I have just been out on road test with mine and it is excellent . The test venue was a narrow suffolk lane and these lights illuminated the whole road width like daylight when on dip and the peripheral light was just as impressive . On main beam I never felt that I was driving into a black hole and the long range performance was such that it would never be a speed limiting factor . In conclusion , Iwould mention that I ride a B.M.W. with a 100 watt halogen bulb and the new system is far superior . Just a footnote for Niel Diggins , we tried to photograph the pattern as requested , but the camera only focuses on the hot spot and gives no idea of what the rider sees . Not only that , its bl.....dy freezing out there so we gave up . John .

Last edited: