WWI Photos

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A friend in Adelaide not a Vincent man, I told him about this site he rang me a hour back and he said the same Douglas. but he told me Triumphs at that time were also made in Germany?

vibrac

VOC Member
I have the same Douglas 2 speed no clutch, belt drive, hand oil pump total loss and no changing gear on a hill once committed to a gear thats it! honestly an amazing thing to ride needs total concentration- magic
Perhaps the most amazing thing is mine was built in 1925 almost 10 years after the photo there was still a demand for what was by then a very obsolete design and its a cheap way to experience a pre WW1 machine at a reduced price. Angela's EW Douglas is 1926 just a year older it has drum brakes optional electric lights 3 speed gearbox oil pump its a bit like Vincents still producing Series A and series D at the same time

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Here is a picture of my Grandfather ( fag in mouth ) and a Douglas. Picture taken at Narborough Aerodrome.
IMG.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When you send a post ? At the bottom it says Upload a file, That will go into your computer, Find your pic's, Press open and click on the photo you want, Can't go any more or I will have to send one of mine !! Try it what can go wrong !! Good Luck, Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
A friend in Adelaide not a Vincent man, I told him about this site he rang me a hour back and he said the same Douglas. but he told me Triumphs at that time were also made in Germany?
TWN Triumph Werks Nuremburg. Triumph was started by a German immigrant Siegfried Bettemann. He started out making bicycles and moved into motorcycle and car production. He chose the name Triumph because it pretty much a universal word understood in many languages. Eventually he was elected Lord Mayor of Coventry in 1913. The pre-1936 history of Triumph is interesting, Ivor Davies and Harry Louise cover it pretty well in their respective books. It gets glossed over in later books which prefer to concentrate on the period after the motorcycle production is sold off to Jack Sangster who moved Edward Turner from Ariel. The rest as they say is history.
Steven

ps http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/historicaldevelopment/ss/Triumph-TWN.htm