Worn carb threads.

B

Bikersally

I've picked up a couple of shadow carbs, had them bored etc but when I put them together I noticed that the top ring catches on the last couple of threads so obviously worn. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that would be capable of making new top rings to fit the worn thread?
I've been in touch with burlen but they are only interested in selling the whole carb minus the float chamber!

B

Bikersally

Thanks for the PM. Keven Trail can do this job but he's moving workshop so it's a month away. Will try a couple off other people first.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not certain what the problem is, but have you thought of chroming the top ring?

Failing that, I would have thought Aberdeen was full of small machine shops that could make them, if it's the part I'm thinking of. A reasonable machine shop should have thread gauges, to check which part is worn.

As a quick fix, I've seen the ring split with a junior hacksaw, and clamped up with a jubilee clip. It's not pretty, but it works.

H

H

A_HRD

VOC Member
I seem to remember that Martyn Bratby (01543 572583) supplies new top-rings which will probably assist with solving the problem...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, as you gain experience, you will observe that nothing in this world will replace worn bits of metal no matter how good the sales pitch!