Works Photos

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
that is the first engine 1946 on the test dyno I am not on any of the shots scrowl down my father is the guy on the right dark hair, making the first production B Black Shadow which Somer Hooker in the USA still owns

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
I always find it very interesting looking at these old photos, particularly looking into the back grounds. I see some of the pigeon hole racking that appears to be made from ex army ammunition cases. Even the under engine stands look to be making use of the same.
In photo 2, the aperture in the generator drive housings appear to have a "bung" in it. Unusual considering the primary cover is off. Also the ESA are fitted when they have to come off to fit the primary chain. Perhaps they are just fitted loosely.
That Archdale multi spindle drill press looks like it has drilled about 6 months supply of primary covers.
It is said that the all welded UFM wasn't continued with because of distortion problems. Understood, but surely after welding, the holes for the cylinder head brackets could have been drilled square to the steering head axis?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
If you look at the picture where my father is building the first production B Shadow the guy at the back is George Buck when left Vincents he went to Jaguar Cars as a project engineer and was the first person to build the Jaguar V12 engine

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Photo with engines l/r Bob Brown,Harry Smith, do not remember, Jack Lazenby, guy at the back with glasses Geoff Fitness , Jack Lazenby (DFC) stilll lives in the UK I saw him 2012,

Last edited: