Works Photo

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Comet has a painted rear wheel rim, so I expect it's a Korean War period bike. Any other no-chrome features visible?

On the subject of 'kindness and a big hammer', I read a story from Alvis' coachbuilt period. A door simply would not fit correctly, after countless attempts to adjust it. Eventually, after the foreman had exhausted normal methods, he took a good hard look, selected a large mallet, and hit the door. It fitted perfectly.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
It all makes sense now, those must be the "special tools" required to fit metric parts to a British machineo_O

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Gerald Worbey one of the guys in the Vincent service dept. had a Alvis. grey hound 2 seater soft top. use to have a dressmakers dummy in the next seat . perhaps they came with a hammer ? I would say that there were 250 guys at Vincents in 1948 total of cars owned by them 10. motor cycles 75 ( only one Vincent Ted Davis Rapide ) 100 bicycles, 65 walkers and train users

davidd

VOC Member
David Bowen wanted to join in with this Works photo. It is Paul Richardson's car at the Works. Vincent Silencer and 3:50 x 19 tires!

Paul Richardson Car_PB_1.jpg

David

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
3 big blokes picking on a poor Comet, just not fair, bet they wouldn't have tried that on a Shadow it might have fought back!
Ahh, but you didn't see the second photo, the Mighty Comet DID fight back, there was so many uppercuts being thrown by the Comet that those poor buggers thought they were surrounded.
"All repose now on bended knee before THE MIGHTY COMET".......................and that was on "pool" fuel!!