C: Clutch Won't shift

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK. I'm back at it. With the bike on the center stand, I can spin the tire and shift through all four gears
with the gear indicator, but not the shift pedal. I can also kick it through with the clutch lever in. I have
had the kicker cover off the repair it and put it back together. Maybe something on the reassembly?
Thanks
Denny

Denny653

VOC Member
It would appear that all these comments are falling on deaf ears........Not one response from the originator of this post.
Sorry, Greg. I got frustrated with the Vincent, so I set it aside and worked on some other bikes. Getting everything prepped for winter.
I posted at the end of this thread today.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the gearchange on the twin (and a few other boxes that use the pawl arrangement) is a very difficult thing to get right. I have been playing with it for fifty years and I still think I am missing something it should not be such a hit and miss arrangement if I do one tomorrow it may be perfect then again...
The instructions say there should be a gap on the pawl and the tooth G43 and G59AS I have found many where that gap (unspecified) does not exist and moving the various components does not make it appear I dimly remember a mod where a blob of weld is employed in that scenario.
I dont have many problems with over selection as without a kick-start I have room to use a modified G61 with screws to adjust the throw of the arm rather than a couple of bent tin ears.
All in all it needs an mind greater than mine (and Robinson?) to properly explain its operation and adjustment. Que the slow mo camera?

vibrac

VOC Member
No battery tube on the racer so unless distortion of G50 plate is a requirement its not a contributing item to the adjustment problems of the gear change I am talking about

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Pretty sure I am wrong, But having seen a lot of pushrods bore into the arm,
Never liked the idea,
So I put the plunger in facing the pushrod, But I also assy' the pushrod with copperslip,
And one or two 1/4" 1/4" rollers in the middle, So that might have worked with the plunger the right way ??.
I also run my plunger facing the pushrod so that it is backwards compared with the way it was intended. Also I tipped the plunger with a piece of solid carbide silver soldered in place. I adjusted the selector mechanism using the instructions in Richardson and my bike shifts perfectly. Most other bikes don't have these adjustments, the parts are just machined accurately enough so no adjustment is required, or any adjustment has to be done by machining or welding. I got the G61 that has the ears on it. That one is supposed to help you adjust the gearbox so it won't overshift.

Denny653

VOC Member
Back to work on the Shadow. I was going through the book of 40 years of the RPM tech articles.
There is mention of the battery carrier tube length that b'nighted spoke of above. I don't think that I messed with that when I removed and replaced the kicker cover. I think it's possible that I messed up something in the process. Now I am wondering how the length of the battery tube is adjusted. And THANKS everyone.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Back to work on the Shadow. I was going through the book of 40 years of the RPM tech articles.
There is mention of the battery carrier tube length that b'nighted spoke of above. I don't think that I messed with that when I removed and replaced the kicker cover. I think it's possible that I messed up something in the process. Now I am wondering how the length of the battery tube is adjusted. And THANKS everyone.
The length of the tube itself isn't actually adjusted but the large E80 nut at the gear cover end is adjusted so that it is just nipped up and locked against the G50 plate. If it is turned towards the G50 plate too hard it can distort the G50 plate outwards. If it is loose the G50 plate could be distorted inwards when the long footrest hanger through bolt is tightened. It is also possible that the expansion of the crankcases can also effect G50 plate distortion if the adjustment of the E80 nut is wrong.

If the gears are all available using the indicator, studying and carefully following the pictures and text in Richardson is the first things I would do.

Last edited: