C: Clutch Won't shift

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I've made one but not fitted yet, years ago but thought it a good idea at the time. But my stelited G91 is barely marked but that was done when cutting push rod in two & roller fitting and it's been several years since the outer clutch plate was fitted with steadying thrust bearing. and only operating with four clutch springs.
bananaman.

Last edited:

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I bought my Black Shadow this fall, my first official act was to break my kicker cover with a manly kick. I am only somewhat mechanical, but I removed the cover, had a friend TIG it, another paint it, and then I reassembled it. Next, I attempted to adjust the clutch. I reset cable so that the G91 touched the abutment the with the clutch lever in. I then adjusted the free play in the cable. I checked it by the slack in the cable at the top of the G91 with the clutch lever released.

Started the bike, let it warm up a bit, and then started down the street from my shop. It sounded good, but when I pulled in the clutch, it wouldn't shift into second. I went around the block in first gear and put it away. Ideas? ...and thank you as always.

By the way, a friend allowed me to ride his Rapide late in the summer and he told me that he usually kicks the gear indicator into first with his heel and that is what I did.
You've had a lot of replies about the clutch, but given that you rode away in first gear but couldn't change into second suggests this is a problem with the gear quadrant adjustment. You should be able to change gear without the clutch at all, so clutch problems do not fit your symptoms. I have just had the same problem having set the quadrant adjustment wrongly by mistake. After correction normal gear change has been restored. Adjustment procedure is explained in the rider handbook.
Good luck Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Pretty sure I am wrong, But having seen a lot of pushrods bore into the arm,
Never liked the idea,
So I put the plunger in facing the pushrod, But I also assy' the pushrod with copperslip,
And one or two 1/4" 1/4" rollers in the middle, So that might have worked with the plunger the right way ??.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
Never liked the idea,
So I put the plunger in facing the pushrod, But I also assy' the pushrod with copperslip,
And one or two 1/4" 1/4" rollers in the middle, So that might have worked with the plunger the right way ??.
The standard plunger isn't hard enough to use reversed, though apparently it works if you can guarantee that that end of the rod doesn't rotate. Otherwise it needs remaking in silver steel. See Roy Cross's comments in MPH861
Mike

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Lots of "years ago, I snapped the arm in two !!,
Dear old Bill Hancock, Said ," Well if you will use a Norton Clutch ",
Bill was our " Standard Man in the day ",
Found out later He too used a Norton Clutch !, On His Outfit !.
I was using very heavy springs for Sprinting,
I use a standard clutch now for the road.

ossie

VOC Member
Never liked the idea,
i was going to send an artical on this to Graham maybe i will.