Misc: Everything Else Won't rev up now!

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member

I've added a YouTube link to a short video of the first start up, not setting any records with my speed of progress.
Not sure what I've done but it will only tickover now, if you try to rev it like at the end of the clip it stalls.
Was working fine when we got it going previously so not sure where to start, wonder if the carbs have suffered due to the crap fuel we now seem to have.
Was popping back through the rear pots carb quite a bit.
Just happy I got the starter fitting right & it didn't back fire on me.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Following on from clevtrev; have you checked the carbs are synchronised? Have you drained them to flush out any dirt and to ensure that only fresh clean fuel is in there. Is the fuel flowing freely down to the carbs if you disconnect the feeds and turn on the taps? Come back when and if all those things are correct.
?

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you tried it with full choke Dave ?,
Does your carb's have a fast idle ?, That comes in with the choke ?.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you used sealer in the tank ?,
Maybe blocked the taps ?,
I miss the tickler , With the old carb's you could quick tell if no petrol was the problem,
Looks Good !.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Have you used sealer in the tank ?,
Maybe blocked the taps ?,
I miss the tickler , With the old carb's you could quick tell if no petrol was the problem,
Looks Good !.
Hi Bill,
No didn't use a tank sealer, don't like the idea of them.
Put a chemical in the tank with some nuts & bolts then wrapped tank in a couple of towels & put in my cement mixer.
Then rinsed out & put a neutralizer in.
Was a process recommended on here.
I'm going to double check the carbs but they are brand new & it's only idled for a couple of minutes on the two occasions we've had it running.
Think leaving fuel in them might not have helped, though I did drain them eventually.
I'll get there in the end, just need to speed things up before my body packs up & I won't be able to ride it !
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Me too ,It would be a bad day before I put sealer in my tank !,
I have not had stale petrol trouble yet,
And I have left bikes for a long time, I am lazy, Might take a few extra kicks,
But I always use the most expensive petrol, What ever that is ?.
Maybe an air lock where you have drained them ?,
I never drain mine.
Or sticking floats ?.
My Mk2 Amals don't have a tickler, Or my Big Dellortos, Wish they did.
It ran OK when you last did a Video, 2 years ago ?,
Mind you the years are flying by !,
You will be fine, Now you have E/start !,, Another thing I don't want to do on my Bikes,
I will have to buy a House on a Hill :D .
Good luck, Bill.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Thank you for that Norman that is reassuring as mine hasn't been used for a couple of years and even left a long time but still had one LED on it when pressing the test button.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Sometimes if there is water in the bottom of the float bowls it does that. The idle jet is higher but once you open the throttle a bit it sucks water. Beautiful bike. The brakes look nice. Myself I don't have any trouble kickstarting mine.