Misc: Charging Systems Wobbly dynamo end cap

CoreyL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Bruce,
It's more monkey metal than Aluminium.
There was someone who was making new billet end housings on eBay

On my spare Millers on the shelf I put helicoils
I'm encouraged to hear you say it can be helicoiled. The original thread is 2BA, I think. Is that what you use? Any info you can provide about the helicoil approach would be appreciated!

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Whilst doing some ignition misfire trouble-tracing on my B Meteor I noticed that the bakelite end cap on the dynamo was wobbly. See video. I couldn't see any obvious threaded fasteners holding it in place and I didn't want to start tugging/twisting things. Is this just a loose end cap or is there a bigger problem? If it's just a loose end cap, how does one tighten it? Since I have a modern BTH "magneto" on this bike, I didn't think the dynamo issue was related to the misfire.
the cheese head screw is 2BA ,methinks this is not the only problem if it has dropped out . Take off the end cap and see what is amiss. the end casting f the Miller dynamo in lots of cases is full of cracks. Modern replacements appear on Ebay

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
You wont know until you look and if it is not working you might as well take it off and apart. Those long screws have serrated washers under their heads or nuts and if that is all that is wrong then Loctite will prevent them coming loose again. The longer you continue to use it with the end moving around the more damage will result. Be brave, you are a Vincent owner:)
Agreed: too much wobble isn´t sexy...

Alyson

VOC Member
View attachment 41467
probably lost the central, end cap screw
make sure you at least take a good look for that screw. If it's left on the road somewhere, fine, but if it's sitting somewhere on the bike just waiting to throw itself into something useful in order to make it useless, you'll quickly wish you spent the time and took a look for it. Just sayin', Alyson

Alyson

VOC Member
I was working on a friends Harley and found a bolt sitting in a little pocket. It was lost a few years ago. Now found, and it wont be making a mess of things.