Witches Brew?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am fed up to the teeth and feeling absolutly powerless by the Ethanol usurption of petrol. Since the pumps remain silent on what the petrol contains and it seems that petrol is the only substance that the Weights and measures Gestapo allow to be sold without the contents on the 'packet' I feel I have 3 options.
1. remove the Ethanol myself by adding water and then separating the water (Plus the ethanol) and then adding an octaine booster. A messy job to say the least
2.getting Race petrol from Santa Pod they do one sort that is tax paid there is also a company that will ship it to your door (shades of circa 1900) whatever its an expensive option
3. try one of the witches brews (thats not so cheap either)

So I will try 3 ,I have never gone much on additives you know from Molyslip to lumps of metal in a sack in your tank but ethanolmate has been recomended by the FBHVC and some other motorcycle club mags I think I will only apply it when a week or so may be in view before the bike is used again or for winter layups we shall see .
Also I have taken to turning off the petrol before I reach home its down to a fine art and I mostly coast in and splutter to a halt that should help keep the jets clear.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I add seafoam gas treatment to the tank, use only Shell Premium gas which has no ethanol, and I turn the taps off as I get close to the garage..That, and clean living..

embo121

Forum User
VOC Member
Not sure if it works for you logistically, but I go to a small airport by my house and can buy 93-94 octane unleaded, but ethanol free gas. It is about 30-40% more expensive than pump gas, but it really makes a difference. However, it is not the same as Avgas, which has different properties, however I am by no means an expert.

vibrac

VOC Member
thought I would check with Shell I specifically said Shell Premium which I dont think is a UK product but their answer covers both their products
"
Thank you for your email.

Petrol is blended with up to 5% ethanol in order to respond to the European Union and UK government’s initiative to promote biofuels, whose aim is to reduce CO2 emissions and enhance energy supply security.

Both Shell FuelSave Regular Unleaded and Shell V-Power Unleaded contain up to 5% ethanol as stipulated by the European fuel specification EN228 and UK government legislation. At Shell, we are passionate about fuel, and our dedicated fuel scientists work continuously in the lab to bring you the most advanced and effective fuels.

Once again, thank you for contacting Shell UK. We do hope you have found this information useful
."

As far as I understand the legislation 5% of the output of final refineries should be ethnol which is not quite the same as 5% of every litre:mad:
you can see (in fact you cant see) what the hell is in your petrol. At least the above means I can keep my ban on Shell with their "bike on stand helmet off" policy if it had been ethnol free my principles would have been very strained:confused:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
In Canada, well here on the left coast anyway, both Shell premium and Chevron 94 Octane have no ethanol. It is more expensive, but all my little domestic engines run on it (weed whacker, lawn mower, couple of others) and certainly her Mini won't run on anything less than 94 Chevron (1275 motor with high compression pistons). If we don't support them they may one day consider it too much effort and discontinue it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was told my MURCO garage, The dear stuff has no eth ? They sold out the other day, So I had to go to another garage, Got some stuff which said Nitro, Paid the earth for it !!Don't have a clue what's in it, But I bet it's not nitro !!. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I was told my MURCO garage, The dear stuff has no eth ? They sold out the other day, So I had to go to another garage, Got some stuff which said Nitro, Paid the earth for it !!Don't have a clue what's in it, But I bet it's not nitro !!. Cheers Bill.
SHELL V-POWER NITRO+ UNLEADED =5% ethanol see above

clevtrev

VOC Member
I add seafoam gas treatment to the tank, use only Shell Premium gas which has no ethanol, and I turn the taps off as I get close to the garage..That, and clean living..
If you`d have come over the bridge on to Hayling Island today, you could have had some seafoam all over yourself, FREE.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I spent 40 yrs running projects in the oil, gas and petrochemical industry. Just about every modern refinery has an alkylation unit which produces this fuel. This is because crude oil is composed of fractions ranging from heavy to light of which about 40 % are in the fuel range for engines. These fractions are normally extracted in a crude distillation unit which also yields " heavy and light ends". To increase the yield, "heavy ends" are broken down in catalytic crackers producing fractions in the gasoline range and more light ends as well as even heavier ends which eventually end up in roads. Light ends have low octane ratings. The light ends from both units then are processed in an alkylation unit which uses a extremely strong acid (sulphuric or hydrofluoric acid) as a catalyst to bring their octane ratings up so that they can be used in gasoline. The alkylation products have anti knock properties and go on to be blended with other fractions to produce pump gasoline. The construction of cat crackers and alky units was (is ) driven by the need to extract the maximum possible from feed stocks. Cat crackers allow much lower grades (heavy, cheaper) crudes to be processed than otherwise. Alky units utilise fractions which otherwise had little commercial value and became popular when lead additives were phased out. The whole process is continuously recyclical. The more process units in the train the more expensive the product as you can see from the prices here. The bottom line is that the petrol you buy already contains these products. Co incidentally, I ran the project which installed the Alkylation unit in Shells Stanlow refinery as well as other related facilities to increase the refineries yield over 25 yrs ago. Sorry to be a geek
Regards Mac