Misc: Everything Else wiring usb for a GPS

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Not being well up on electrics what do I need to do to make a tom-tom work on the bike I have ordered a waterproof case and bracket for handlebars, I hope to connect by way of a USB connector may be bolted onto the crash bar run through a fuse link (what size) back to the battery. (do I need a step-down unit from the GPS to the USB or can a simple USB be used). My tom-tom fits in the car via a cigarette lighter plug which has the usual bulky push in adaptor on one end of the wire. I could just use a cigarette lighter adapter placed near the battery if there were a better way and what will I need for the job.
I use a Garmin GPS. A Zumo 660 for a number of years and now a more recent 390. Tom-Tom GPS power requirements will almost certainly be similar. I have 12-volt electrics on my Rapide and I move my GPS unit on my more modern bikes that are all 12-volt.
  1. If your supply lead plugs into a 12 Volt supply socket then you can assume that any voltage reduction will be in either the supply lead, GPS mount or unit itself.
  2. The 12-volt car plugs are quite bulky you will find installation easier if you use the smaller DIN type, sometimes called a BMW type. Sockets are available with a plastic plug or spring-loaded flap for weather protection. Adapters are available to convert from DIN to the larger car type if you use your GPS in a car.
  3. I've found mounting the socket on the handlebars or headstock is the most convenient option. I've run a short wire from the headlight switch inside the headlight. This becomes live when I select the first position on the Miller headlight switch.
  4. The excess length from the socket to GPS supply socket is coiled and zip tied. Not an ideal solution unless you are able to shorten the supply lead but this works OK for me as I may need the extra length if I use the GPS in my car.
  5. If you decide to shorten the supply lead make sure you shorten it outbye of anything in the line that could be a voltage reducer. (This most important to avoid zapping your unit.)
  6. If your motorcycle is 6-volt you can buy a unit that steps 6-volts up to 12-volt.
Last year I lead a group on a long weekend in Wales using a loaned Velocette Venom (another story) with 6-volt electrics. I bought, very cheaply a circuit board that stepped up the 6-volts to 12-volts and made a Heath Robinson enclosure out of a small plastic food container. (Graciously donated by my wife from a kitchen cupboard.) This worked really well and was easy to remove when the Venom was returned to the owner.
P.S. I wouldn't advise using any USB connections as power supply.

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Don't forget that some of the 12v plugs supplied with the GPS may contain some electronics used as part of the traffic congestion features. Certainly my old one did although I'm less sure about the one I have now. You should check before using a replacement USB cable.
Also many manufacturers claim that USB sockets are difficult to seal against water ingress. That's why gadgets like my Aftershokz headphones and my cheap Garmin watch all have non-USB connections on the device although they do charge from a standard USB power supply.

If your GPS doesn't have any weird features in the 12v plug (and likely it doesn't, TBH) then something like this might help (I'm not endorsing anything, I just did a quick google)

Hope I'm not increasing the confusion here.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I was wondering how people find using Sat Nav without earphones. In my car I rely heavily on the sound instructions or otherwise I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen on a frequent basis. On a Vincent, assuming that the Sat Nav is mounted somewhere near the handlebars, it seems to me that without an audible warning one would continuously have to look downwards, well away from the road and traffic. What do others find?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I was wondering how people find using Sat Nav without earphones. In my car I rely heavily on the sound instructions or otherwise I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen on a frequent basis. On a Vincent, assuming that the Sat Nav is mounted somewhere near the handlebars, it seems to me that without an audible warning one would continuously have to look downwards, well away from the road and traffic. What do others find?
one can use either Blue tooth head sets in the helmet ,or special ear plugs with speakers fitted in them Because of the noise, the speaker ear plug are probably the better bet.
stumpy.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have used my Tom Tom Rider with Bluetooth headsets on several bikes including Vincents. I probably use sound about 65% and GPS vision 35% on a bike. The vision is to confirm the entry/exit when there are several roads in close proximity. The original Tom Tom Bluetooth only gave five hours life and I now use an Interphone device to connect phone (calls and music) plus GPS. It is also an intercom to pillion and other bikes. It will talk to Scala devices also. Last year on the International rally I used Apple Maps on my phone after the Tom Tom bracket broke. Not as functional but I found all the hotels, points of interest and service centres. I used a Quadlock device for the phone with a rainproof "poncho" and USB connection facing down and backwards. Sometimes a GPS is only as good as the person pressing the buttons.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a bluetooth intercom that enables me to talk to my passenger and also to hear the GPS instructions. As for "continuously have to look downwards, well away from the road and traffic", I don't look at it all the time when for some reason I have not got the bluetooth on. It is then no different to looking down a map roller with instructions written on or even worse instructions taped to the top to the petrol tank all of which I have done at some time or other but prefer not too.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I was wondering how people find using Sat Nav without earphones. In my car I rely heavily on the sound instructions or otherwise I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the screen on a frequent basis.
I use these: https://www.plugfones.com/product/liberate2/
They're not perfect, but work well enough. I've been using Google Maps and there's a small problem. For some reason, the first part of each instruction is cut off, so if it says "In a quarter mile, turn left on ..." I hear "...urn left on ...". I haven't researched it further to see if it's a phone/bluetooth problem, a Plugphone problem or maybe Google Maps somehow. I've just been living with it for now. Too busy fixing motorcycles, tractors, lawn mowers, cutting firewood, feeding horses, chickens and ducks and whatever else fills up the day. I haven't ridden my horse in two years now. Got to get back on.

Gary

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I use these: https://www.plugfones.com/product/liberate2/
They're not perfect, but work well enough. I've been using Google Maps and there's a small problem. For some reason, the first part of each instruction is cut off, so if it says "In a quarter mile, turn left on ..." I hear "...urn left on ...". I haven't researched it further to see if it's a phone/bluetooth problem, a Plugphone problem or maybe Google Maps somehow. I've just been living with it for now. Too busy fixing motorcycles, tractors, lawn mowers, cutting firewood, feeding horses, chickens and ducks and whatever else fills up the day. I haven't ridden my horse in two years now. Got to get back on.

Gary
From OVR # 73

Helmet Bluetooth Headset Review

pic 003.jpg Screen Shot 11-13-19 at 05.38 PM.JPG

Bluetooth technology makes mobile phones more functional, with handy little headsets that are completely wireless and allow for hands-free answering and talking on the mobile phone. Not only that, if your phone includes a GPS navigation function, such as Google Maps, in-helmet Bluetooth headsets allow you to hear the spoken GPS directions as you are riding!

There usual type of Bluetooth headset marketed to motorcyclists is designed for multi rider to rider communication with the side bonus of being able to connect to a mobile phone. These systems are sold for $100 and upwards.

OVR has been using a very different type of Bluetooth helmet headset, one which ONLY allows connection to your mobile phone. The other big difference is the cost. Purchased from eBay it was less than A$20 including postage. [search EBay for Helmet Bluetooth Headset].

The unit purchased consists of 2 slim speakers (that mount inside the helmet), an attached microphone unit that incorporates the volume controls and a USB connector for recharging the system. Installation is simple with selfadhesive pads for mounting the speakers in your helmet; the microphone is held in place by the padding in your helmet.

First use you need to ‘pair’ the headset to your phone. A simple procedure. Once done the headset will subsequently automatically pair to you phone whenever BOTH are turned on. With the working range of the headset of up to 15 metres between the phone and the headset, it’s important to manually turn the headset off every time you remove the helmet to ensure you do not miss any incoming calls.

When using the system the spoken guidance from the phones GPS app is very clear and audible even when riding at speeds within the legal limits. Unfortunately it’s not so good with phone calls – while riding I was able to hear callers OK but the people calling me had a hard time understanding what I said due to wind noise. Once I stopped – thus no wind noise – then phone calls were just fine.

One big plus compared to many other systems is that there is no control box to be mounted on the outside of your helmet.

Martyn

erik

VOC Member
Unfortunately a GPS app on my mobile phone is not very useful where I live because of the very steep and narrow valleys in the hinterland you have no net.Without net ,no navigation.A traditonell satnav is better here.Erik

Chris.R

VOC Member
Ebay has listings for handlebar mount sockets that the car adapter will plug into.View attachment 34686 The difficulty is that there's a couple of yards of charger cable to lose between socket and sat nav.
Hi I got one of these with a con for a phone alongside the fag lighter plug in easily wired back to battery and fitted to the crash bar job done Thanks for the simple option.
Chris