wiring harness

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Some of the old 1950s style cheap dipswitchs will not take 10/11 amps. :)

A solution to that problem is to use the dip , light switches etc through a relay discreetly hidden in the headlamp shell. The relay only requires a few hundred milliamps to activate and it's contacts handle the heavy current.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For those who care the heating effect with a DC current is I squared R where I is the current flowing and R is the resistance. So halving the current gives one quarter of the heating effect while conversely doubling the current give four times the heating. A faulty connector etc which introduces an extra resistance into a circuit gets hot. You knew that didn't you? Change from an original 6v 36 watt headlight passing 6 amps to a 12 volt 60 watt headlight and you have only 5 amps passing through the circuit. This gives a heating ratio of 36 to 25 i.e. about a third less heating. Go for a 130 watt bulb and you have 11 amps. 6 amps squared is 36 heating units and 11 amps squared is 121 meaning that you have about 3.4 times more heating. Decent cables and dip switches are needed.

Just had a good day at the Pie and Pint and nice to see you all there. :)

Riggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Riggles

I made my loom using a length of trailer flex, which contains 5 or 7 colored wires. I don't know what section or amps it is, but it works OK with 12 volts on the Rapide. As for the 130/90 globes, forget them & go for the 60/55 Plus 50% Phillips globes.