PR: Proprietary Items Wiring a Comet

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi to all, the Lucas switch on my '51 Comet headlight has positions marked "OFF" (got that one figured) "T" "H" and "L" apparently this is not original? even though it looks very old, can anyone tell me what the letters stand for?
The switch currently has no wiring connected and the terminal numbers do not match the wiring diagrams.
My switch has terminals marked 1 through 7, wiring diagram shows 1 through 8?

Kevin

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Van Drenth, can you tell me any more? the Comet has a Hi/Lo switch for the headlight already so what do High and Low mean then?

Thanks
Kevin

van drenth

VOC Member
This switch is been used on Norton and Roal Enfiled 1 cilinder motors build before 1949 and the Town light , High beam and Low beam did have there own position on the switch.
Regards, van Drenth JC.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Headlamps

Hi Kevin,
Series C Comets were fitted with 7 inch Miller headlamps and Miller switches As were all B and C series Vincents although most B's used 8 inch headlamps. These switches had four positions 1-Off, 2- Ch unused, 3- H headlamp, 4- L pilot light. The Ch position is a redundant legacy of the pre-war three brush dynamo system.

Hugo

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi Kevin,
Series C Comets were fitted with 7 inch Miller headlamps and Miller switches As were all B and C series Vincents although most B's used 8 inch headlamps. These switches had four positions 1-Off, 2- Ch unused, 3- H headlamp, 4- L pilot light. The Ch position is a redundant legacy of the pre-war three brush dynamo system.

Hugo

So why has my 1950 Comet been fitted with a 6 1/2" headlight.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Kevin,

Hugo

As always, thank you Hugo...I will buy a new one before I do the rewire..goodonya mate

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My Series B Meteor has a similar 4 position Lucas switch, but it is something I fitted when I converted it to 12 volt battery ignition many moons ago.

The Off needs no explaining. The first notch switches the ignition on. The second keeps ignition on but also switches on side light in headlamp, and tail light. The third is for ignition, side and main lights. Bright and dip are operated from the handlebar switch.

It doesn't look at all out of place, and works very well.