F: Frame Will touring handlebars fit on a Prince

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need slightly closer lean back bars on my Prince, will touring fit, would anyone know, even with wider muffs the brake & clutch levers touches the muffs ? The slight cut outs on the top cover also seem to be further back than where my current normal 27" vincent bars sit !
or are there any others that have been used ? thanks Kerry.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I don't think it can be done as you are suggesting. I have made many sets of enclosures, including the wide muffs, but with touring bars, you will run into problems when fitting the head cowl. I believe it works only with flat bars.

You may be able to install a short length of 7/8" pipe in place of the handlebar allowing for a few inches on either side of the handlebar clips. The install a dogbone on each end of the 7/8" pipe extending past the clip. Then install the handlebar that fits you through the dogbones. I don't know if the dogbones will clear the fuel tank well enough to work. You may have to grind away at the back of the cowl.

The enclosed D is the most difficult bike in the stable to modify!

David

kerry

VOC Member
Hello David, I appreciate your help, when I look at other images they all seem a bit further back than mine, there are small cut outs for the bars but mine are in front of these, I need to take a look at another Prince I think, an inch would do it and be perfect. Other than this it is a very nice bike to ride.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Kerry, on the enclosed Ds the position of the dashboard is defined by the hole towards the rear through which the steering damper parts fit. It would make mess to try to change anything there. The cut outs for the handlebars are just that and could be moved rearward but not very much upwards. If you can find handlebars which are flat for enough distance before they bend backwards and upwards then you might get away with it. Remember that new fibreglass parts are available from Dick Sherwin (rapcom) so if you make a mess of the existing ones or want a non original one to chop about then that might be one way to proceed.

davidd

VOC Member
Kerry,

Handlebars Prince.PNG

There cannot be much of any variation. The HB clips are locked in place and can only be moved by redrilling the slots in the FF1. The cowl is down pretty tight onto the top of the HB clips. It could be done, but it would take a lot of work and it may look quite odd. The cowl is dictating the options.

David

kerry

VOC Member
First thank you David for your help, I am going to look at a Prince next week to compare, I have bought new wide muffs from Dick Sherwin who is a complete Gentleman, I might be able to fit them slightly further forward, my second photo shows that my bars are further forward than the cut out, not sure if that's normal ? I only need about an inch extra coming back, I am going to try other handlebars too once I can get some, I don't want to chop things about. Regards Kerry.
DSCF7092.JPG
DSCF7090.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

b'knighted

VOC Member
I bought a set of Laverda five piece adjustable handlebars to try to alter the grip position on my Knight. I never got around to fitting them. As they are made of straight sections their lengths could more easily be changed.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have not got the handlebar notches on the sides of headcowl. The height of the steering head extension tube could be increased a bit to raise the dashboard but then you may need extension plates from the SL3 to use the existing holes in the lower ears of the cowl. My headstock extension is not original and is chamfered away to clear the inner radius of the dashboard back flange. The bit that screws into it is fitted with a sprung ball to use a “C“ damper knob.

kerry

VOC Member
Wow thank you, I never new you could get adjustable handlebars so something else to google, it may help when I look at the other Prince though to see if it has cut outs, if the handlebar ends could just come back one inch it would be spot on, maybe heat and bend or would that weaken them ? I don't know. Kerry.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a thought, On some racers, They took the pinch bolts out of the handle bar mounts,
Swung the fittings under and filed new grooves, So the bars were under the top Fork Link ,
It's the grooves that stop the fitting turning, Just wonder if turning your towards and down a nat's,
would work ??, Don't know if it would be too close to the Tank ??.