F: Frame Wider handlebars info needed for a prince/knight

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just bought a very nice black prince, (over the moon) compared to an open D and normal C it seems heavy to move about due to very narrow handlebars 24" on the others 27"
I realise with the hand shields they will need to turn in a bit so the levers don't touch the inside of the hand shields, looking on google images I see others with wider ones fitted and they look fine. long shot but has anyone knowledge of any that would fit please, possibly Vincent touring handlebars ?? I am also fitting a AVO coil over which lowers the bike over an inch and I know also helps a bit. thanks.

Last edited:

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Congratulations. Great machines, if not to everyone's taste. I'm sure I'm not alone, but when looking after the Prince my father left after his passing - one of the Earls Court show models - I found the set-up of bar muffs/levers/bars far from perfect. It's also heavy to move around because they are tall, heavy bikes compared to earlier models. The prototypes wore no handlebar muffs. That is the way to go in my opinion - you can fit wider bars and the looks are improved.

kerry

VOC Member
Hello and thanks for your reply, First I agree not everyone's taste but I often wonder why ! to me they are a work of art, also having owned C twins the D's are far better to ride in my opinion. I am comparing the heavy feel with an open D they both weigh the same, the D with 27" bars really is far easier to move and hold etc, the open one also is lower as I said with the far better coil over from AVO. I will try touring bars if I get no more suggestions

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Hi - good. Another fan. Not got figures to hand, but I think the enclosed D's are heavier than the naked ones, due to the fairings. Bulkier too. But I agree - on the move, they work very well. And they handle better with a passenger or luggage and on a hot day, they run cooler.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I lent Phil Primmer a pait of standard muffs and he developed them into extended muffs, so at least two sizes exist. I have never fitted any as I couldn't see how they could accommodate the BMW levers that I use. My head cowl is undrilled.
Whoever has the WCS moulds should be able to supply either, Rapcom will know his name.

Calle

VOC Member
If you do not find someone to help you with SL5L & r (Handlebar muff extended). I can make a couple for you but shipping etc from Sweden makes it easier if you can find them at home.

calle_sjoblom@hotmail.com

Attachments

• handlebar muff.jpg
    handlebar muff.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 30

kerry

VOC Member
Superb replies, appreciated, thank you. According to bruce main smiths book a Prince is 460 lbs Shadow is 470 lbs. the panels apparently lighter than the framework and guards ? Other books vary. Apparently the muffs were an optional extra but I wish to keep mine. On car and classic at the moment is a very tidy knight for sale, that has wider bars and the levers are clear. Having compared side by side an open D and Prince I am convinced wider bars will make a big difference, watch this space...... and again thank you all.

kerry

VOC Member
Update, again thank you everyone for your help especially Dick who is going to supply new wider muffs. I got some genuine 27" black Vincent bars from a friend who took them off his Comet because he prefered SS. Now together with the AVO rear damper the bike sits lower, I can touch the ground easily now and bike is so much easier to move about and to take on and off the stand due to these wider bars and avo. Just waiting for the Vincent tank transfers from the spares club to arrive and the tank can go back on after laquer etc and then on the road for its first run out for many years.

davidd

VOC Member
I don't think I have any long ones on the shelf, but they are essentially the same shape but longer.

DSCN3956 01.jpg

Sorry that the photo is not better. They are up on the right behind the stock muffs. You can get the idea that they are a bit wider.

David