Why can't I reply to a Thread here?

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sorry for a somewhat OT topic, but this is not the first time I've wanted to post my two cents worth only to get a message that I don't have the required authorisation to reply to the thread. The odd part about it is that down at the bottom left of the screen, the posting rules box tells me that I can reply to the thread, edit my posts, etc., etc.

Anybody know what's worng? Does a moderator have to set something up or is that a mistake in the posting rules and you need to be a current member of the VOC to reply to threads, even here in the Public Access area?

Cheers

Roy

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Access

I think that "public access" is read-only for non-members, but am open to correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Smith

The public areas of the Forum are open to anyone who takes the time to register. Having a registration process that involves 'human interaction' reduces the risk of having robots spam the forum and harvest such things as e-mail addresses.

The private areas of the Forum are open to anyone who is a full, paid up and current member of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club. Non-Members can't even see what's available.

As far as posting goes, Non Members of the VOC can start threads in the public areas and also contribute to any thread that they have initiated. VOC Members can reply to any thread of the forum.

Non Members of the VOC are not able to reply to a thread that they didn't start. Members of the VOC had a lot of discussions regarding this, and we came to the conclusion that this was the best way of doing things.

If members of the forum want full access to all of its features, then unfortunately the only way to do this is to join the VOC.

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Non Members of the VOC are not able to reply to a thread that they didn't start. Members of the VOC had a lot of discussions regarding this, and we came to the conclusion that this was the best way of doing things.

OK, fair enough, bit disappointing after 20-odd years of VOC membership and still holder of 50 VOC Spares Co. shares, though. Even though I'm no longer active I thought I could still contribute something. I know I can always start a new thread if it's important enough, but for some things it can get a bit confusing if it's not in the context of the thread concerned.

If it's technically possible, it would be helpful if the posting rules could be amended to reflect this fact (I realise that might be easier said than done).

G

Graham Smith

I realise it must be disappointing Roy, unfortunately they're the rules, and we stick to them, otherwise there would be no point in having any safeguards or controls at all.

Can't I tempt you to join the Club again?

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can't I tempt you to join the Club again?

I guess it all depends how much it costs nowadays. I had to sell the last Rapide to fund unexpected problems renovating a 270 year old house and the chance of me ever being able to afford a replacement is only marginally greater than zero! so given work, time and location restrictions, about all I'd get for my money would be MPH and full access to the forum.

Is there perhaps some sort of cheaper "affiliate" membership?

Edit: No problem, I found the membership form and I've just had a phone call which means I need to join so that I can post in the non-public parts of the forum.

Cheers

Roy

Last edited by a moderator: