who is Ted Davis

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Answer to a USA, PM Ted attended Loughborough College and obtained a degree in Engineering, during the war was in the navy, before he worked at Vincent was one of the first persons to buy a Rapide in 1947, he had race prewar in the Uk he raced in 1938 Donnington TT on a Triumph T100 and finished forth , he joined Vincent in 1948 as a engine builder, and in the same year race his Rapide in the IOM Clubmans and finished fifth, and later at Vincents became a road tester, if any more is required I try my best to provide,

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Ted was also one of the 10 Riders that shattered 8 world records in Montlhery France in May 1952 riding Black Shadows

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Other guys from Vincents that rode there Danny Thomas, Did not ride in event, John Surtees , and due to this could not ride in the 1952 Manx as he was classed as professional

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Other guys from Vincents that rode there Danny Thomas, Did not ride in event, John Surtees , and due to this could not ride in the 1952 Manx as he was classed as professional

Yes the Manx was the amateur TT back when sport came first and money came second. The Manx struggled on in a world where Money has ruined much of sport today. I attended the last Manx in 2011, now like the organisers I'm not sure what to call the September event- certainly I doubt any amateur could win it now - and get unsponsored publicity