Where Are You Now? Who are these racing types?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Assuming the tank extension holds fuel, that would indicate endurance rather than short circuit racing.
Ray
Never underestimate the power of fashion, its more likely they were emulating Mr Surtees machine or back then got a ex works tank for a packet of fags

1544624851261.png

Mr Surtees Special

greg brillus

VOC Member
I would have thought that the racing types of that time would have quickly worked out that the forks stop working under heavy braking and using shorter springs would have solved the problem to some extent. Given also that most race tracks are not rough or undulating and so less suspension travel needed anyway. What interests me is what the chaps in the picture are actually doing....... It looks like the bloke on the left is trying to insert a piece of foam between the headstock and the fuel tank to help raise the oil temperature.

davidd

VOC Member
Look at the angle of the lower. Why did we not know about this years ago?

I noticed it 17 years ago:

Works Grey Flash Right.GIF

I copied it by making a 14" long spring.

It does boost my spirits to think that they were not suffering with the horrible handling. The prototype Girdraulics with the long springs had scared George Brown to death and he was not easy to scare. He told Cliff how horrible they were the second he got off Gunga Din, but never mentioned it to the Phils.

David

druridge

VOC Member
Can we see part of a number plate inside the van (FCT or ECT)? I'm hoping the bike was never raced with the rear stand fitted, was this a ride to meeting, then race, then ride home again? That might be foam getting stuffed in, but I wondered if a front 'race' number plate was being fitted?
Bike appears to have a damper between the rear springs. With the seat braced solid, presumably the friction dampers are set to be little more than cosmetic? That would mean the shortened seat stay should move in the bottom of the vertical bits of mecanno? And the seat stays have swapped sides.