Misc: Charging Systems Which PODtronics for my Alton

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
My Godet Egli was built in 2006, and it has a Boyer Brandsen Power Box model PBOX00106 regulator, which is a three phase version. I assume, therefore, that I can replace it with the PODtronics model POD-3P? Can anyone confirm that?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
My main concern is fixing the battery-drain-while-the-bike-sits issue, but now that I see I may have the 3 phase version, I better pull it off, I think Bill Easter has a test rig.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have a disconnect for my battery like this and unplug after each ride*: https://www.amazon.com/connector-Di...+pole+trailer+connector&qid=1609373766&sr=8-8

What gauge wire do you need for the starter current draw? There are probably heavier gauge connectors to use.

* And hope to remember to reconnect before the next ride. I haven't checked to see if my 1999 vintage Alton to see if it really does drain the battery.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a disconnect for my battery like this and unplug after each ride*: https://www.amazon.com/connector-Di...+pole+trailer+connector&qid=1609373766&sr=8-8

What gauge wire do you need for the starter current draw? There are probably heavier gauge connectors to use.

* And hope to remember to reconnect before the next ride. I haven't checked to see if my 1999 vintage Alton to see if it really does drain the battery.
As I understand it its the regulators vintage that dictates if the battery drains not the Alton

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Correct, the source of electrons (dynamo, alternator, flux-capacitor) doesn't matter - it's the regulator which typically causes any leaking.
If you have a multimeter you can measure it.
  • Set the meter to measure current,
  • Switch off anything on the bike which might draw current - might seem obvious but...
  • Remove the wire(s) from one side of the battery so that the battery pole has no other connections,
  • Connect one side of the meter to the wire(s) you just removed from the battery and the pole on the battery which now has no wires on it,
  • You are now measuring the total leakage of your electrical system,
  • If the current is more than a couple of milli-amps something is leaky, if not then everything is good and you don't need any magical extra switchery.
If it's more than a few milli-amps it may be the regulator. On the other hand, you might have other stuff on the bike which leaks depending upon what state your bike is.
I have an Alton and Podtronics regulator and the battery never leaked away. OTOH, I don't use automotive batteries on the bike as I don't have electric start so don't need a massive battery.
All batteries self-discharge to some extent typically getting much worse as they get old.

Hope this is clear, let me know if it's not and I'll try again.

Cheers - Steve

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The battery has a heavy gauge cable that goes to a solenoid for the starter, that does not apparently contribute to the power leak. The other wire coming off the battery has a fuse, which I usually disconnect when parking the bike. The battery will hold a charge when I disconnect that fuse. There is also a keyed switch, for at least the ignition, but apparently not for everything. From many comments on the internet, many others with a battery drain problem change nothing else but the regulator, to a PODtronics, and the drain is gone. I will trace the wiring, to see if I can use the keyed switch to fully isolate the battery, but I am interested in the PODtronics if indeed my current regulator contributes to the problem.

I like old school connectors similar to this 4 prong one. I have a round 2 prong one on my other Vincent’s, my father had put one on the Shadow back in the day. At least they are period correct.

1D4DC5BC-943F-4619-AFC6-1A54F5121D2A.jpeg
9F1BBED6-DA60-4753-8A9F-35112CA17BEF.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
There is nothing wrong with the regulayor that comes with the current Alton but the one they used earlier did leak here is the current one from spares
1609493569236.png