which one is this? luggage racks.

usefulidiot

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
first, i've done a lot of searching. for some reason there are not a lot of clear pics of what luggage rack is Ventura, Craven, etc. Which one is this? I like it because its not too big and goes well with the bike.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I am looking to put a rack and panniers on my Rap, but I am thinking of using something like the arrangement detailed in KTB. I believe that somebody from the Norfolk section is making and selling a rack system.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Contacted Craven..probably gonna get a "D" rack. Anyone have positives/negatives to add?

The rack shown in the brochure next to the description was designed by VOC member Ken Craven, and originally had four rounded corners. It is carried on four brackets and as two are rigidly mounted and two move with the suspension they need to have bushed connections. Two rails are bolted at the front of the seat, bend down to clear the tool tray then are stabilised at the top of the seat stays before bending up to carry the flat inner rails on the rack.

There are two more flat stays clamped to the sides of the lifting handles, standing nearly vertical to carry the rear of the rack.

Phil Primmer produced these items for a while and made lifting handles with welded on lugs to overcome the problem of the clamps sliding down. I do not believe that these necessary bits are available at the moment.

The advertised carrier D appears to be only the actual top part of the rack and to have none of the Vincent specific fittings. There is a used one on ebay (UK) at the moment.

The Ventura carrier, originally the New Zealand Bike Pack, has also been developed from a dedicated Vincent design and fits under the seat with, I believe, removable and interchangeable rack ends.

For serious luggage something along the lines of the sledge detailed in Know Thy Beast is a better bet.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
thanks for the info b'knighted. Craven says they have a Vin specific mounting "kit" presumably with some of these pieces you mention. Its reasonably priced, i'll probably get it. Some of the bigger, more robust systems i think take away from the lines of the bike so i want to avoid them. I just want to carry my lunch box to work, possibly throw my small soft bags over.

vibrac

VOC Member
I just want to carry my lunch box to work, possibly throw my small soft bags over.

That will be a tank bag and seat stays to the footrest plates then and of course no need for a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanghai

VOC Member
Origninally designed & made by my grand father for a well known VOC member (now located in Melbourne) back in the late 40's.
This is an upgraded version made by the same VOC member for one of his machines & now fitted to my Rapide.
Note the central location of the pannier i.e. over the rear hub and not hanging off the back of the bike leading to better balance of the bike at speed.
DSCF2878.JPG
DSCF2867.JPG