Which Oil do You use in your Vincent?

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oil change.

I change the oil at the recommended 2000 miles, the oil filter at 4000 miles.
In the early day of ownership the filter was removed at each change and cleaned, on reflection this was not a good idea as it is impossible to get it clean.
I do wonder if with the improvement of modern oils the time between changes could be stretched.
John.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Vincent recommended 2000 miles change intervals for the engine oil & filter cleaning after no more than 10,000 miles with a new one after no more than 20,000 miles !!! Personally I would change oil at 1500 miles & filters every other oil change. Modern oils will go much longer than 2000 miles but its the standard of filtration which limits the interval.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Just another thought , if airfilters are used I reckon the change interval could be pushed to 4000 miles.
Hi,

My Rapide engine was re-built by Terry Prince before I bought it - so I've bought a stock of his full-flow oil filters - they look a very good piece of work and reasonably priced too. He recommends fully synthetic oil once run in for one of his engines so long as you use the filter.

I guess changing the oil and filter too often only brings added cost with it - leaving it go too long may cause mechanical problems with disasterous consequences - ouch!

I intend to err on the side of changing too early rather than too late.

Particularly with machines that don't get regular and constant use there is the risk of the oil degrading as much as suffering normal wear in use.

Stuart

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi lads.I dont have a problem with oil changes on my Comet as it is half a Torry Canyon.John

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the reply,s
so what synthetic oil is best to use, and i
recomment changing the oil filter every time the oil is replaced,
Has the oil filter is full of contaminated oil which is getting the new oil dirty
has soon has you start your bike?

R

Rap998

I use Roc Oil TRM Semi-synthetic. Change once a year after 1000-1200 miles.
About £30 for 4l.
Change filter everytime.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the reply,s
so what synthetic oil is best to use, and i
recomment changing the oil filter every time the oil is replaced,
Has the oil filter is full of contaminated oil which is getting the new oil dirty
has soon has you start your bike?

IMHO , the best synthetic oils available are Redline , Motul & Amsoil.

Motul would be a good choice from a practical point of view as its very popular with motorcyclists and consequently available from many bike shops.

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
thank for the reply Tnecniv Edipar,
but which motul oil is the best to use?
is it 300v 4t but which viscosity?