Which Oil do You use in your Vincent?

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Glen ,

My advice would be the 7100 in 10w40 grade. I don't think the 300v is required in a Vincent as the oil never reaches an elevated temperature , so the cost isn't justified. Although , if your running budget isn't an issue , by all means go for the 300v , again in 10w40.

Globetrotter

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Which oil?

On my circumnavigating Rap. I used whatever was available for 180,000 miles. It was still running beautifully (comparatively speaking) when it was finally stripped by Rip Tragle and rebuilt. oil changes were very few and far between, probably every 50,000 or so. At 400 miles to the pint it changed itself. The big secret to longeivity is ALWAYS get the motor hot (50 miles at least) every time you start it. Wasn't it Big Sid who wore out his engine by starting it frequently to let his shop customers hear it running?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
That is oh so tru !! Short journies are an engine's worst enemy !! Just going off subject a little , that was one of the problems that afflicted the LE Velocette. Ironic that a machine ostensibly designed and intended for the non serious motorcyclist for commuting , local shopping trips etc , could never reach full operating temp under those circumstances because the engine was over engineered & over cooled !! Thus it would wear out at a phenominal rate ! Was perfectly fine however , if used on long journies.

One of the big challenges to the automotive lubricant industry was when cars no longer consumed oil between services due to better engineering demanded mainly by emissions legisilation. Oil then needed to endure & protect for the full 6k miles and more change intervals as there was no longer refreshment of additives from regular topups. Now we have synthetics that can sustain 25k mile change intervals !

Rip Tragle , a name I was trying to recall in conversation a few evenings ago ! Wot a guy !

mikelmonaghan

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Oil for Vincents - Shell Rimula and Rotella

Hi, I've used Halfords 20W-50, low additive for many years but now that's becoming unavailable I'm reverting to Castrol classic.

However a word of warning about Shell Rimula and Rotella. They are super oils and will keep the engine really clean because of their high detergency. But you MUST either clean the engine and oil tank and all oil ways thoroughly before using. A second route to Rimula is to add it in small quantities as a top up (assuming your Vin does use oil). This enables the detergents to act gradually and so the engine is cleansed gradually and no blocked oilways.

Instant filling with a high detergency oil to a dirty engine results in massive release of sludge and deposits and probable blocked oil feeds.

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
what oil to use?

i had this problem after rebuilding my rap, by chance i had a converstion with one of the chemists who works for morrisons oils, who told me that 40 or 50 grade "supreme" was primarily made for stationary diesel fair ground engines, like scammel or gardiner etc driving generators and the like thumping away for long hours etc, and would more than suffice for the vin! he also said that they tried to sell it to the classic brigade but it didnt catch on so they called it "elite" and it sold! you can see it at kempton auto jumble, but you can buy it for a lot less from small auto shops as supreme, £26 , 20ltrs last time i used it, hope thats of help, regards and merry xmas to all!

vibrac

VOC Member
Castrol R30

Or any other castor oil of the new thin type (30)
never used anything else in the racers for 30 years
The smell up your nose is better than a pint of Newcastle brown
Road or Track its the crack!
(and a bit on your hands wont give you dermatitis)

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
what oil!

I wonder what oil is in the "voc" black shadow! all that new stuff inside clean new tank etc the answer is out there!

clevtrev

VOC Member
The problem with every oil you choose to use in your engine, is that it never, repeat, never gets to operation temperature.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
This is a definate issue with Vincent motors. As a consequence it is wise not to use too high a viscosity. SAE 40 is definately the heaviest that should be used in the UK , but a suitable multi-grade is better. That would ensure that the valve gear recieved a supply ASAP after starting.
To increase the oils operating temperature and allow quicker warm up the the air flow around the upper frame member can be blocked off by closing off the front off the fuel tank at the sides.

Just as an observation , stores own brand economy oil seem's to have a following on here. My advice would be to use something better. These types don't have the best additive packages and , amongst many other things , this is what protects the engine against combustion corrosion damage and resistance to grade shear.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Years ago, I carried out a test with Vincents arriving at a Liphook meet. Checking to see what oil was being used, the mileage traveled and the temperature of the oil.The abmient air temperature was also noted. Including I must say the data of a pre-war machine that was total loss.
The results were collated and a phone call to Filtrate, led them to advise that `You need to be running a Straight 10`