Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear All,
this is Eddie, I've posted a few months back a first thread to get some advice on how to rebuilt my 1948 Rapide (http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?5439-The-best-set-up-Tips-on-how-to-rebuild-an-un-matching-Rapide-All-input-welcome!&highlight=), I'm aiming at a rideable bike, a bike I whish to use as much as possible not a garage queen,
I'm planning on some improvements to the engine (carburetors, cams etc.. see other thread) and I’m starting now to collect parts for the cycle part rebuild.

I would like to get some advice on the wheel size, I was so far thinking about a classic set up with normal 19 rear and 20 front wheel, but lately I was considering why not 20/21 a la lightning?? I'm not planning to race with this bike, it going to be mostly used for fast touring as meant by the constructors,
but I like the big skinny wheel stile, do you think slow speed handling will be really affected? Top speed only slightly improved? Any tips?

Also, which is the best spokes lacing pattern? cross 3 or cross 4? I’ve heard both were used at the factory, right? I guess cross 4 might be stronger even if using longer spokes.

Thanks!
Eddie

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I've always used cross 4, because that's how my Comet came to me,but other owners may have more information. A couple of things I can tell you, though. Be very wary about who you get your spokes from and how they are bent at the butt end. Too large a radius means they will touch the back of the brake drum and this can have frightful consequences. Also I had to ease my butts, (that sounds surgical!) where they just fouled the crossing spoke from the next notch around, so as not to create a stress point.I got my latest wheel stuff from Central Wheel Components in the U.K. and apart from that little bit of fettling, and slight straightening of the inner spokes, had no problems.Go 21"/19" in my opinion.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Also, which is the best spokes lacing pattern? cross 3 or cross 4? I’ve heard both were used at the factory, right? I guess cross 4 might be stronger even if using longer spokes.

I've seen cross three collapse on the rear wheel of a Vincent. I wouldn't even consider cross three.
Cheers, John

vibrac

VOC Member
I think 20" rear tires are not available. I like my 21/19 wheels.

Vintage tyres quote http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/683/350h20-325-20--avon-road-tyre--sm-original-rear

all depends on whay you want
certainly in normal use a larger thinner front seems the way to go. I have 19X20 on the Flash to match the original 20X21 difference but sized down to get good racing rubber. Ben favors twin 18" AM23 racing tyres on the racer. I have twin 19" wheels on the road Comet but thats because it doubles as a Trials sidecar tug and to be honest it seems to fling about on solo tyres quite well. When I had to replace the Trials sidecar wheel I decided to use a Vincent front hub on a stub axel I turned up to take the bearings & nut etc. I took it to the wheel builder who said from a distance "Ah Vincent front what rim do you want 21,20,19?"
"No" I said "17, I am building a Vincent chopper!" ....

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Originally Posted by [FONT=&amp]bmetcalf[/FONT]

I think 20" rear tires are not available. I like my 21/19 wheels.

Originally Posted by [FONT=&amp]vibrac[/FONT]

Vintage tyres quote http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/683...-original-rear

=====================================

Thanks all,

I hadn’t thought indeed about tyres availability! And was a bit worried after having read Bruce post,
So I’ve done a quick google search and got to the same site suggested by vibrac,

Being concerned about the tire quality and by the fact that this tire is not listed on the Avon official site, I’ve called them and the salesmen reassured me by telling that the tire is made in England (no Chinese copy stamped Avon then) and he also told me that is made by Avon! But in really small batches, this is why is not on the Avon website and also he told me that Vintage Tyres is the sole worldwide distributor for them. This explain why is not in the Avon retailers catalogue.

Eddie

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
but not the best tread pattern or profile for any spirited riding !! Pity they didn't make it the Roadrunner or GP style.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I had Lightning wheels on my Rapide in 1968 !!
MUV7661968-1.jpg

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
..and with the 21" front, that Shadow clock indicated 122 mph on the A20 near Swanley ( no 70 mph limit in those days !! ) :eek: