Which gear oil/grease

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A mixture of ep80 and high speed grease will do, Or Millers sell some' liquid grease' . There is a recommendation to pack the inner shell with a specific weight of grease which must be in Paul richardsons 'Vincent' book. The proportions of 3:1 grease to oil will do ,it just about flows out
of the mixing vessel, a grand job. I never liked just grease on it own, despite the instruction.

Albervin

VOC Member
Hi,
What do people recommend to lubricate a Burman gearbox.
Cheers
Fletch
I have used Penrite liquid grease in my Comet for 25 years. Not sure if it is available in the UK though. The great thing about it is it stays where it is supposed to stay!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Castrol Spheerol L.Epo semi liquid grease. Any thicker and the layshaft is likely to seize in the drive side bush. The occasional spoon of gear oil helps peace of mind. Keeping this lot inside the box is a different matter.
I seem to remember that Furness or Searle (ex works employees) telling me that they used to brew up a concoction of grease and oil and pour it into the gearboxes when they arrived new from Burman's. This practice apparently was the cause of several minor fires.

fletchburton

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. I must confess to not owning a Vincent but to a M100 Panther.

The reason I posted on this forum is that most of the people who own Panthers do not seem to know how to use a computer.

So Thanks again for all the help from this splendid Club.

Cheers

nkt267

VOC Member
I have seen that they do a 250 is this way to viscous ?
It would more than likely be like semi-liquid grease and take a while to pour in,should be ok though.(put the bike on it's left side stand so that it migrates out of the gear cover into the main body) In the winter you would need to put it in with a spoon:D..john