Where Nero Snarled

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I see the unprintable Brighton council are at it again
They have closed Madeira drive to all traffic but walkers and push bikes
This drive is of course where the Brighton Sprint and other motor events are held
They say its temporary (A bit like the 70mph limit)
The petition against closure is here:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Signed it as well. What a rediculous thing to.

Many other Vincents have snarled up Madeira Drive. I was a ten year old spectator when Ian Ashwell tragically lost his life on his supercharged Vincent named Satan.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I know you did. It should be added that Brighton Speed Trials is Britain's oldest motorsport event having been run since 1905.

highbury731

VOC Member
If the Brighton Council want to close Madeira Drive to motor traffic, they could perhaps make an exception for this long-standing event, held on one weekend per year.
Paul

brian gains

VOC Member
but again, the reason for the current closure to vehicles is thought to be temporary so people can exercise while social distancing?.
On the other hand I have heard, although not confirmed, that the responsibility for necessary works to restore the terrace and associated iron work has been accepted. Apparently the wish of Brighton Council was this area could have been developed into retail outlets, Downside is that when the works are undertaken they will invariably take so long and cause such wide spread disruption that the sprint would be cancelled anyway.
Where did I read recently that Blackpool used to have organised sprints?, maybe an opportunity to reinstate them.

vibrac

VOC Member
You are more trusting than me Brian they have already tried to close the event before. Now like a lot of dubious organisations they are making moves under the cloak of COVID to push the urban green agenda and avoid democracy which to them gets in the way (A bit like those 3 abreast push bikes I met yesterday)