Where Are You Now? Rapide LKN 806

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We've recently been contacted by the daughter of a previous owner of LKN806, who owned it in the mid 1950's.
We know it used to be in the Beaulieu Museum in Hampshire, who then sold around 2005-7 in an auction.
Since that time, it has disappeared and DVLA say it isn't taxed and have no V5C history for it.
This is a photo of it in 1950
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

lkn 1 jl220121.jpg

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What a great picture.......Amazing how "Empty" the street is........ Would that bike have originally had Brampton's on it, then changed to Girdraulics perhaps......?

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What a great picture.......Amazing how "Empty" the street is........ Would that bike have originally had Brampton's on it, then changed to Girdraulics perhaps......?
Yes a different world in those days.
I initially thought that but it left the factory as a C Rapide with girdraulic forks.
Its early 1949, so right in the middle of the transition period from series B , which meant any combination of parts was possible.
Cheers
Jon

vibrac

VOC Member
That's like the 'comfy' 49 'B' Rapide on the spares web site in its case the works build sheet said 'Bramptons' but a batch of Girdraulics must have been delivered because thats crossed out and it reads 'Girdraulics' which is what was fitted with.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thats about right, my Rapide was first registered 08-08-1949, HRD Crankcases and Timing Cover, also fitted with Girdraulics, I purchased the bike in 1965 in a pretty tired state, the forks looked like they had been on there from day one.

G

Graham Smith

Lovely looking bike - it looks really similar to my Rapide (FDW 596) which was registered on 22nd July 1949.

H.R.D. tank and Timing Cover, straight seat stay lugs and also fitted with Girdraulics.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
1949 was a year of big changes and very confusing. Most changes in 1949 had nothing to do with the different series B or C.
Did you know the rarest of the Black Shadows was the early series C ones which were HRD cast engines and HRD transfers and Girdraulic forks. We have less than 40 on record.
Simon

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
How about HRD cases, but Vincent scroll transfer? Is that even rarer?