• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Where Are You Now? Where are you now, Rapide LKN 806

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We've recently been contacted by the daughter of a previous owner of LKN806, who owned it in the mid 1950's.
We know it used to be in the Beaulieu Museum in Hampshire, who then sold around 2005-7 in an auction.
Since that time, it has disappeared and DVLA say it isn't taxed and have no V5C history for it.
This is a photo of it in 1950
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

lkn 1 jl220121.jpg

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What a great picture.......Amazing how "Empty" the street is........ Would that bike have originally had Brampton's on it, then changed to Girdraulics perhaps......?
Yes a different world in those days.
I initially thought that but it left the factory as a C Rapide with girdraulic forks.
Its early 1949, so right in the middle of the transition period from series B , which meant any combination of parts was possible.
Cheers
Jon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
That's like the 'comfy' 49 'B' Rapide on the spares web site in its case the works build sheet said 'Bramptons' but a batch of Girdraulics must have been delivered because thats crossed out and it reads 'Girdraulics' which is what was fitted with.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thats about right, my Rapide was first registered 08-08-1949, HRD Crankcases and Timing Cover, also fitted with Girdraulics, I purchased the bike in 1965 in a pretty tired state, the forks looked like they had been on there from day one.

Graham Smith

VOC Hon. Editor
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Lovely looking bike - it looks really similar to my Rapide (FDW 596) which was registered on 22nd July 1949.

H.R.D. tank and Timing Cover, straight seat stay lugs and also fitted with Girdraulics.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
1949 was a year of big changes and very confusing. Most changes in 1949 had nothing to do with the different series B or C.
Did you know the rarest of the Black Shadows was the early series C ones which were HRD cast engines and HRD transfers and Girdraulic forks. We have less than 40 on record.
Simon

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
We've recently been contacted by the daughter of a previous owner of LKN806, who owned it in the mid 1950's.
We know it used to be in the Beaulieu Museum in Hampshire, who then sold around 2005-7 in an auction.
Since that time, it has disappeared and DVLA say it isn't taxed and have no V5C history for it.
This is a photo of it in 1950
Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

View attachment 39769
Photo credit?

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thats my photograph, I have all of C.T.Rays documents relating to his motorcycle. Including letters to factory and the orginal warranty from the factory.
Yes thanks for the photograph, which we have on file thanks to your good self. I have the daughter of the 2nd owner who has been asking where it is now, which we don't know at the moment.
I'm sure if we find the current owner they'd be interested in the documents you hold.
Let's hope we find them.

Last edited:

Latest Forum Threads

List of Forum Categories

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?