When was the switch from "B" to "C" primary cover?

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a late HRD motor (F10A /1/2142) that came with both a "B" and "C" primary cover. Which is correct for this engine?

John Mead

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have a late HRD motor (F10A /1/2142) that came with both a "B" and "C" primary cover. Which is correct for this engine?

John Mead
My engine is 2313 and is HRD, I would think if the crankcase is HRD then the timing cover should also be HRD

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Do you mean timing cover??? There may have been changes to the primary cover, but I don't know if they are recorded in the available literature.

Albervin

VOC Member
Not sure what differentiates a "B" cover from a "C" cover .... There were 2 (at least) different timing covers on Series Bs and 3? (blank covers) on Series Cs. Just because it says HRD on a timing cover does not make it a "B".

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I think a Series C is defined by having been supplied with Girdraulic forks instead of Bramptons.

Albervin

VOC Member
I think the only real "foolproof" test for a Series C machine is an RFM and UFM with prefix RC.. Recently there was a picture on the Vincent Facebook page of a Series C "transition" bike with Bramptons. I made no comment of the veracity of the claim because I didn't want the owner to feel pressured into revealing numbers. However, there are many people who think the difference between a B and a C is the type of forks they wear. In truth it is somewhat more complex.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Phil Vincent's own words, from Tales of the Snarling Beast.............
seriesC.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks Brian. Surely these machines also had their frames stamped RC.. My point is that these bikes were often bespoke and some person with the readies could have asked for a Brampton forked bike in 1949 when the new longer RFMs were being fitted. Just saying, that's all.