When was the switch from "B" to "C" primary cover?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the primary side there was a change to the clutch cover with the earliest being round with a change to a beveled bottom “corner”. C20 to C20/1? When did this occur?

I believe one of the original round covers was modified by a grinding process using a tarmac bonded abrasive held statically while the part to be machined was moved against it, in a linear plane, by a petrol powered machine.

Last edited:

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for the information. However, I am asking about the PRIMARY cover, not the timing cover. The "B" PRIMARY cover has a different hole pattern for the clutch dome than the "C". A "B" clutch dome cover will fit on a "C", but if you put a "C" clutch dome cover on a "B" the cornering clearance relief will not be on the bottom.

John Mead

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
All the machines in the Norvin section are absolutely standard!
Jim Burgess

But this one has non-standard finning on the heads.............
NORVIN19672.jpg

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Thank you for the information. However, I am asking about the PRIMARY cover, not the timing cover. The "B" PRIMARY cover has a different hole pattern for the clutch dome than the "C". A "B" clutch dome cover will fit on a "C", but if you put a "C" clutch dome cover on a "B" the cornering clearance relief will not be on the bottom.

John Mead

Curiously the table of Detail Modifications with pertinent engine numbers in Paul Richardson's Vincent does not mention the changes to the clutch dome. However in KTB Stevens states there were three types of cover, the first completely circular, the second with the 'cutaway', and the ventilated racing version. He goes on to say that "Location of the screws is different on early covers so that new holes have to be drilled and tapped to suit the later 'cutaway' covers."

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
John,

I do not think there was a change over that can be identified. That is why I asked about the mating numbers and all these components had them right down to the generator cover. Aside from that I have in my notes F10AB/1/3077 as the last Series B. As far as I understand, the Factory made Series C models well prior to this number.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
engine for B and C were made in the same way engine assemble would not have known if it was going to be B or C, Ted Hampshire Did the frame stamping so he put R or RC but being human could have made a few mistakes

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
David B., exactly, nothing related to the motor should be called Series B or C, like clutch covers, timing covers, gear change linkage, etc.. Those were all incremental changes made independent of Series.

David D., your noted number for the last Series B, is that one of the last Brampton factory fitted bikes that was part of a special order by Indian Sales? If so, even those may not be correctly called Series B's depending on some other details. I am not saying they are or are not, since I don't know what those other details are, but just using the fact they were factory built with Bramptons does not necessarily make a bike a Series B.